[REQUEST] file split by chapters

Everything related to MakeMKV
NomadCF

[REQUEST] file split by chapters

Post by NomadCF »

Title says it all, 1 file for every chapters.

Useful example:
right now all all my anime DVDs look to MakeMKV like 1 large movie. even though there are 3 EPs per DVD. And while do I understand that it how they are really are on the DVD. It would be wonderful to have the option to have MakeMKV create/split the output file in to FILE based on chapters.

Right now I'm using DVD Decrypter to convert my DVDs to chaptered VOBs. Then converting those to/into MKVs.
mike admin

Re: [REQUEST] file split by chapters

Post by mike admin »

You can also use mkvmerge to split produced MKV file. This feature is a bit tricky from UI prespective. Feature request noted, but I would not count on it to be implemented soon.
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

mike admin wrote:You can also use mkvmerge to split produced MKV file. This feature is a bit tricky from UI prespective. Feature request noted, but I would not count on it to be implemented soon.
That is only partially true. You can split a produced MKV, but it does not allow for splitting of MKV based on chapters. But like i said so far when I've wanted to do i just turn to using DVD Decryptor. And have it outputs VOBs by chapters and I just "convert"/merge those to into a MKV.
booknut

Post by booknut »

NomadCF wrote:
mike admin wrote:You can also use mkvmerge to split produced MKV file. This feature is a bit tricky from UI prespective. Feature request noted, but I would not count on it to be implemented soon.
That is only partially true. You can split a produced MKV, but it does not allow for splitting of MKV based on chapters. But like i said so far when I've wanted to do i just turn to using DVD Decryptor. And have it outputs VOBs by chapters and I just "convert"/merge those to into a MKV.
NomadCF, what method do you use for converting your VOBs to MKV?
nvader2000

Post by nvader2000 »

DVD Decrypter does this the By Chapter option under Settings> IFO Mode. Last version was from 2005 and only work with DVD. So i know it is possible .Would be nice to see this in MakeMKV.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

It's already been implemented as DVD Manual Mode.

Before you start scanning the disc just check the "open DVD manually" box and...

/manualdvd/
garretn

Post by garretn »

An older thread, but I felt the need to correct the earlier post. You can absolutely split by chapters with mkvmerge, it's supported it for years -- I do it all the time.

mkvmerge -o output.mkv --split chapters:all input.mkv

You can also do it like:

mkvmerge -o output.mkv --split chapters:10,15,20 input.mkv