Splitting MKV Files

Everything related to MakeMKV
Tsingtao

Splitting MKV Files

Post by Tsingtao »

Hello new MKV user here...

Up until recently I've been using ISO images for all my movies and TV Series storage. However I've found that for my TV Series I'd like to use MKV so I get direct episode playback from Zappiti.

I've done a few TV Series as a trial and its working well however I then ran into an issue with a specific TV Series:

* The TV Series holds 35 episodes on the disk (kids cartoons)
* Each MKV contains 5 of these
* Each MKV contains 5 cells

Is there any way to split the 5 episode MKV into 5 single episode MKVs on the cell boundary?

The iSkySoft video converter seems to do this but I'm trying to limit the software I'm suing and would prefer to only have 1 product for MKV. Using AnyDVD for the rip of the ISO and then converting MKVs from those local ISOs...
setarip_old

Re: Splitting MKV Files

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

At least to me, your post is not clear:

Are you saying you purchased a commercial disc containing 35 cartoons/episodes and the disc, as purchased, was already structured in 7 .MKV containers, each holding 5 episodes?

Or are you saying You purchased a commercial disc containing 35 cartoons/episodes that YOU converted to 7 .MKVs of 5 epidoies each?

Or are you saying yet something else that I can't discern?

Tsingtao

Post by Tsingtao »

Right the DVD held 35 cartoon, when I ran that thought make MKV it identified 7 titles and created 7 MKVs. EAch of those MKVs however contained 5 chapter, each relating to a single episode...

In the end I used mkvmerge to split them based on the chapter time stamps.
trondmm

Post by trondmm »

Tsingtao wrote:Right the DVD held 35 cartoon, when I ran that thought make MKV it identified 7 titles and created 7 MKVs. EAch of those MKVs however contained 5 chapter, each relating to a single episode...
Which DVD is this? That sounds like a bizarre way of organizing the content.
Tsingtao wrote:In the end I used mkvmerge to split them based on the chapter time stamps.
That's exactly what I would have suggested. I don't know of any better way to split an mkv-file without reencoding.
Tsingtao

Post by Tsingtao »

The DVD is The Trap Door and yes I've not seen anything else set up like this :)
robpdotcom

Post by robpdotcom »

You can use MKVChaps to split by chapter:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JTN6XLGT
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

I tried using it, and all it does is crash.

I think for now I will use Wasabi's method.

SC