Which audio track(s) to rip off blu ray?

Everything related to MakeMKV
TeaPea

Which audio track(s) to rip off blu ray?

Post by TeaPea »

Hey, sorry for the nooby question,
I was wondering which audio tracks other people rip from their blu rays?
What I have been doing is just taking the highest quality audio, say the 6 channel truehd or DTS HD or whatever looks to be the highest quality, then just un-ticking all the other boxes so I'm only left with the single audio track.

This seems to work fine, I only run it through stereo and it all sounds good to me even though the source is 5.1 say.

Am I doing this right ? It seems to work fine, but I can't help wonder if I am going to cause myself problems down the line!
dpstjp

Re: Which audio track(s) to rip off blu ray?

Post by dpstjp »

Not a silly question at all.

The answer is that it entirely depends what your equipment can handle. Some media players can't deal with HD material, therefore you might want to rip other audio tracks alongside it to allow for this.

For future proofing I would always rip the highest quality track that the disc has. What HD formats have you ripped so far? Have you tried all the different types and tested them on your media player? My daughter complained that there was no audio on Ponyo the other day. Turned out the English track was 5.1 PCM, whilst the Japanese track was Master Audio.

PCM can be tricky with some players, and I recode this track to FLAC and remux the FLAC track alongside the PCM into an MKV to allow for future issues. StaxRIP is the programme I use for this as it will decode to 24-bit FLAC whereas most other EAC3to-based decoders seem to decode to 16-bit. I find it rather a pig to work though, probably because I'm unused to it.

I'm looking forward to the day that MakeMKV will do a FLAC encode.
TeaPea

Post by TeaPea »

Thanks for your reply!

I'm running a 2011 mac mini with plex, which I just bought and I'm really happy with!

I have never had a problem with a film, but for some reason I seem to have problems with concert blu rays, which seem to have LPCM audio.

My audio I send down the HDMI cable to the telly, then from the telly down a optical cable to a DAC (cambridge audio DACmagic)

Which then outputs in stereo via phono to my hi-fi amplifier.

I'm keen to always rip in the highest possible quality as I don't want to have to re-rip everything at a later date.
FLAC audio would be amazing yeah to have everything in one universilly supported format, I also look forward to that day! :D

I purchased pavtube's byte copy before finding makemkv and have to say makemkv is a lot better!
dpstjp

Post by dpstjp »

Not sure that I'd take audio from the TV. I would look at getting the audio direct from the Mac Mini to the amplifier, depending upon what inputs you've got on that. What amp is it?

Optical will not support the higher bit rate audio.
TeaPea

Post by TeaPea »

I have a DAC between my telly and the amp.

So currently I have Mac mini > HDMI To Telly > Telly Optical out to DAC > Dac phono to AMP

I could go, Mac mini Optical out > Dac > Phono to AMP

Or even just use the standard 3.5mm output on the mac mini straight into the AMP but I think the DAC would be better.

Or I could do USB from the Mac mini to the DAC, as it has a usb input maybe that would be the best way to go?

Quite a few options! I didn't think it would make a difference.

Thanks for your help!