File Size?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Mortikai

File Size?

Post by Mortikai »

I'm wondering if there is a way to rip these files to a smaller size. Here is my issue; I use Plex to stream the movies to my Ipad. The smaller size files (rips from standard dvd's) are at roughly 4-7 gig in size, these seem to play ok with very few pauses. However, any of my Bluerays that i have ripped (20 - 40 gig) pause frequently. I'm guessing this is just based on the size of the files alone. Is there a way to drop the size of the files? I have already removed all the subtitles. I do leave all the english audio tracks available, do these really take up that much space? Any thoughts would be great and much appreciated.
robpdotcom

Re: File Size?

Post by robpdotcom »

MakeMKV does not and probably will never do any compressing. You need a program such as Handbrake, or better yet, a faster network.
DaveQ

Re: File Size?

Post by DaveQ »

You want Handbrake. Download the latest nightly build, and use the iPad preset. It will reduce your DVD-sourced movie files to around 1 - 1.5 GB with no appreciable loss of quality, and your Blu-sourced movie files to around 2 - 5 GB. Saves tons of disc space and is much easier on your home network when streaming.

Dave