3D MVC Option

Everything related to MakeMKV
arrgh

Re: 3D MVC Option

Post by arrgh »

jhoff80 wrote:...If set up properly (which yes, is a huge pain) it does work great (including subtitles)...
...but not Subs in MakeMKV-generated mkv, right?

If yes, how do you do it?
jhoff80

Post by jhoff80 »

You're right, sorry about that. I only recently re-ripped my Avatar 3D Blu-ray using MakeMKV, and tested it this morning. It appears that the built-in MKV splitter doesn't work with subtitles, and if you switch to an external MKV splitter, the MVC video doesn't work.

Edit: That being said, it's working fine with an external subtitle file. I've got VSFilter installed, so I added "DirectVobSub (auto-loading version)" to Stereoscopic Player as a Video Processor (in Decoder section). Then, I just named the external subtitle file to the same as the file I'm playing (in this case I've got Avatar.mkv and Avatar.ass) and it'll load it fine.
RobertSmith

Post by RobertSmith »

I still doesn't work with PowerDVD but it seems to work with TMT.

I have compared Gravity ISO with a MVC MKV version of my Gravity ISO and it plays with no problem. The information shows what video is H264 1920x1080. How can I be sure what this is not a fake 3d, the picture look the same. I'm using a Sony HW55 projector.
Batiatus

Post by Batiatus »

TMT6? Which version? Any confirmation on the TMT boards or from their support?

I'd say the best way to test is with some sort of test MKV where each eye has a completely different image. Left eye shows a house while right eye shows a boat. If you have a '3D' house it's fake. If you have a house-boat it's real.

Well after trying out TMT6 again I don't know what the 3D playback is like but as a player it's better than Stereoscopic but far from decent. Chapter support is way off (seems to jump randomly rather than to actual chapter makers) and no subtitle support for embedded forced subs. Still a looooong ways to go IF it does in fact playback 3D MVC MKV.
RobertSmith

Post by RobertSmith »

I have to do the test with another 3D movie, Gravity is a "fake 3D" :)

http://realorfake3d.com/

I will try with Hobbit, Monsters University, Finding Nemo or Prometheus, any specific scen that are good for testning?
Batiatus wrote:I'd say the best way to test is with some sort of test MKV where each eye has a completely different image. Left eye shows a house while right eye shows a boat. If you have a '3D' house it's fake. If you have a house-boat it's real.
There can I find good 3D test mkv?
Batiatus wrote:Well after trying out TMT6 again I don't know what the 3D playback is like but as a player it's better than Stereoscopic but far from decent. Chapter support is way off (seems to jump randomly rather than to actual chapter makers) and no subtitle support for embedded forced subs. Still a looooong ways to go IF it does in fact playback 3D MVC MKV.
Swedish subtitles works great for Gravity with TMT 6.
Batiatus

Post by Batiatus »

Gravity on Blu-ray is not 'fake' 3D. Yes the film, or parts, may be a post-conversion to 3D but the MKV that would be ripped off the disc is not 'fake'. It has 2 separate images crammed into 1 file stream, the same as Avatar. Doesn't matter how the film was shot and produced, on the disc it's real 3D. So if you think it looks fake in TMT6 then it's being processed by software to fake 3D from a 2D image the same as would be done for Citizen Kane. Avatar would be treated the same, or the Hobbit or any other actual 3D film.

Looks like we are back to square 1.
RobertSmith

Post by RobertSmith »

Batiatus wrote:So if you think it looks fake in TMT6 then it's being processed by software to fake 3D from a 2D image the same as would be done for Citizen Kane. Avatar would be treated the same, or the Hobbit or any other actual 3D film.

Looks like we are back to square 1.
I didn't say that.

I say that my gravity MVC version made with makemkv is playable using TMT 6. BUT i'm not sure if TMT using the file correct or not.

Do you know a "real" testing clip, with one picture for left eye and another for the right, se your post above.
Batiatus

Post by Batiatus »

Then what did you say? Gravity can't be used to test TMT6 because it is 'fake' 3D (post-3D conversion) where The Hobbit was shot in native 3D? Both are in 3D on the Blu-ray regardless of how they were filmed. That was your statement.

I don't know of any 3D test video on a disc that could be ripped to MVC MKV.

And forced subtitles don't work at all for any MKV that I've played in TMT6.
RobertSmith

Post by RobertSmith »

Batiatus wrote:Then what did you say? Gravity can't be used to test TMT6 because it is 'fake' 3D (post-3D conversion) where The Hobbit was shot in native 3D? Both are in 3D on the Blu-ray regardless of how they were filmed. That was your statement
Everything looks good, but it would be great to test TMT with a clip/movie there you test as U describe with left/right eye.

Is there something I can have missed, or should I be happy and start to make backups of my collection with makemkv and play them with TMT?
Batiatus wrote:And forced subtitles don't work at all for any MKV that I've played in TMT6.
OK, I don't know about forced subtitles I was talking about subtitles in native language.
Batiatus

Post by Batiatus »

I'm sorry but I do not know of such a test video on a disc or in MVC MKV format anywhere. I just meant that would be the definitive way to test if these programs are displaying true 3D from a MVC MKV file or if the software is faking the 3D effect.
RobertSmith

Post by RobertSmith »

Batiatus wrote:I'm sorry but I do not know of such a test video on a disc or in MVC MKV format anywhere. I just meant that would be the definitive way to test if these programs are displaying true 3D from a MVC MKV file or if the software is faking the 3D effect.
I agree, since this kind of file is viewable in 2D, which is great. But there is a possibility that TMT using it to convert 2D to 3D
rplotkin

A Reliable Software vs. Hardware 3D test

Post by rplotkin »

Hi,

I've figured out a reliable test for whether or not your player is using the 3D from a 3D MKV, or is instead using its own software 3D conversion. [The short version: only Stereoscopic Player does it right, in terms of the 3D video.]

Using Gravity 3D as your test disc:

The opening text should be flat. It should not appear in 3D, it should not appear warped, just flat. PowerDVD 13 and TMT6 show this correctly when viewing from an ISO, but when viewing the MKV, the text gets wavy and the title of the movie shows up in 3D. Which means that those applications are applying software 3D conversion when reading MKV files, instead of using what's on the disc/in the file.

I don't like other aspects of Stereoscopic Player, but it does read the 3D MKV video correctly.

Because of this, for now I'm sticking with making ISOs for my 3D content.
Batiatus

Post by Batiatus »

Well that is unfortunate :(
mattias83

Post by mattias83 »

I still don't understand why everyone in here doesn't just buy a mede8er player and be done with it. Mine plays AVC/MVC 3D mkv files ripped with MakeMKV with no issues on my Samsung 3D tv. I'd never mess with trying to get blu-ray software on a pc to play these 3D mkvs properly. Way too much to configure and sort out.
Dazkine

Post by Dazkine »

mattias83 wrote:I still don't understand why everyone in here doesn't just buy a mede8er player and be done with it. Mine plays AVC/MVC 3D mkv files ripped with MakeMKV with no issues on my Samsung 3D tv. I'd never mess with trying to get blu-ray software on a pc to play these 3D mkvs properly. Way too much to configure and sort out.
What about PGS (Bluray) Subs. Are they 3D ?

When i convert bluray to mmkv im just getting 2D subs:(