3D MVC Option

Everything related to MakeMKV
pchilds

Re: 3D MVC Option

Post by pchilds »

Hi I've also had trouble getting 3d mkv's.
I also noted the lack of stereo-mode information; however, when I tried to set it to top and bottom I still only get a 2d image out.
I have a passive set that can take either side by side, top and bottom and its natural row interleaved format. Out of sbs and t&b I prefer t&b as my monitor (converting it to row interleaved) loses resolution in the vertical, hence any loss in downsampling to half t&b is absorbed as opposed to using half sbs.
However everything just comes out 2d; no split picture. I have checked the 3d boxes etc, have all the ssif.smap files of the backup before saving to mkv, yet no dice. I would imagine formatting for the passive case would be easier, yet everyone seems more geared to the active case.
I am using version 1.7.7 for linux.
cozzmo

Post by cozzmo »

Any original disc that is ripped will be frame packed. Side by side and Over Under split screen type 3D movies are always going to be encodes of original movies (not how they are originally presented on the dsic). Formatting of the video file has no real bearing/effect on Active/Passive 3D modes on the TV/Monitor, that's down to the software you're using to play back or the hardware inside the TV.
jctcom

Post by jctcom »

I would really like some more clarification on this.

If I want the 3D part of the movie with the DTS-HD audio do I only need to rip the "3D MVC" track with the appropriate audio?

I generally use my Popcorn Hour C200 for playback and have had no problems playing 3D that is SBS etc... The TV will even detect and switch to 3D automatically if the file is named correctly.

I have read references to an officially supported MKV 3D function where it is supposed to detect that it is 3D if the extension is .MK3D

I have tried this with the files ripped by MakeMKV but all I get is a black screen with the DTS HD audio. (Tried this specifically on the new Men In Black 3D)

So with the above info does anyone have any hints on what I need to do to be able to play these on my C200 which as far as I understand should support them?

Also if MakeMKV supports this .MK3D official MKV 3D extension is there a reason it does not name it that way to start with?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I think many of us would appreciate a more detailed explanation on how to back up our 3D Blu-Rays and be able to watch them on our current equipment that supports 3D rather than waiting for some imaginary future equipment that may or may not ever arrive?

Carl.
cozzmo

Post by cozzmo »

OK did a bit of digging and this is what i find ...

march 2011 post:

"The advantage of letting our device handle this is that it will automatically
signal the 3DTV, via HDMI1.4 protocols, to switch to side-by-side or
top-and-bottom mode, according to the source material (by naming it *.3DSBS.*
and *.3DTAB.* accordingly).

With MKV3D sources, the Stereoscopic parameters is encoded into the file
itself, so you don't have to name it as above (Note: you need latest mkvtoolnix
that supports the Stereoscope filed proper).

Doing so, you don't have to reach for the remote to switch the 3D modes."

SO basically what they have done is implement the 3D mode signal so the TV automatically switches when watching SIDE BY SIDE or TOP AND BOTTOM files. They cannot do full HD 3D frame packed content which is what MakeMKV saves the files as.
jctcom

Post by jctcom »

I do understand the embeded 3D code vs the SBS etc. What I don't understand is why my C200 is as far as I understand supposed to be able to play the embeded 3D code if it is done properly and I change the extension to MK3D and yet it does not with the files created by MakeMKV.

MakeMKV seems to support all of the MKV codecs and features etc... and yet it does not seem to support the "Official" .MK3D standard extension. (Which as far as I understand is supposed to be a file with the full 3D codecs embeded like MakeMKV claims to be doing and not the SBS standard which is the more common one on the net).

In other words what is the point of creating a 3D file that supposedly has "All of the 3D information contained in it" if nothing will play it? (And when I say "Nothing" I mean the few console players such as the C200 that actually support the 3D file formats as opposed to software players that I would install on my computer)

Carl.
cozzmo

Post by cozzmo »

Your C-200 is an HDMI 1.3a device according to the specs on their page. HDMI 1.4 is required for full transmission of 3D frame packed data, which is what MakeMKV creates from a 3D Bluray source.

Example, my WDTV Live! plays everything i want/need including SBS and OU/TB 3D, but its only HDMI 1.3 and therefore doesn't support 'proper' Full HD 3D which is a shame.

Googling the details of the chipset that the C-200 uses reaffirms this, it doesn't support frame packed 3D.

I'm not sure if i'm not understanding what you're trying to do (sorry if this is the case), or if you're trying to playback something that your system simply doesn't support playback of.
jctcom

Post by jctcom »

I guess that I am thinking that in this article:

http://support.popcornhour.com/article.aspx?id=1130

Where they are talking about the .MK3D Extension being playable on the C200 that this is the "3D Frame Packed Data" format as opposed to the 3DSBS format which I thought is what MakeMKV is creating? Or is this yet another 4th format (Counting the top / bottom format as the 3rd)?

Although they seem to skip right over the actual .MK3D extension and go right into the SBS and TAB formats without any further mention of the .MK3D extension so I am not really sure?

Carl.
cozzmo

Post by cozzmo »

Well first up i see this :

"Please note that the Popcorn Hour and PopBox products DO NOT support:

Blu-ray 3D rips"

Thats basically what MakeMKV is doing...

Then specifically down the bottom of that page:

"If you have other stereoscopic 3D videos, you can add a special tag that our box recognizes. If you don't know what stereoscopic 3D is, essentially it's video that is recorded with two cameras and displays one image on the right and one on the left (Side-By-Side) or one on the top and one on the bottom (Top-and-Bottom). The tags are just pieces of text you put in the filename so when the player goes to play them, it will read the filename and enable 3D mode properly. Please review the examples below.

Side-By-Side
Before: Movie.mkv
After: Movie.3DSBS.mkv

Top-And-Bottom
Before: File Name.m2ts
After: File Name.3DTAB.m2ts"

Looks to me as though it is simply a way for it to send the data to the TV to tell it that its a side by side or top and bottom 3D file so it will automatically switch. My Panasonic TV comes up telling me that 3D content is detected and i just push the 3D button and it automatically selects SBS or TB mode when playing back from my WDTV Live, but always prompts me to switch to 3D mode.

I'm positive that the C-200 doesn't & won't support the files you're generating with MakeMKV which is why you're having the playback issues that you're experiencing.

If your TV is a Smart TV with a built in media player or a DLNA certification, you could probably playback the files that way (which i can do on my Panasonic TV) but the built in media player on mine is IMHO is very poor and frequently freezes and fails to pause/fast forward/rewind.

Easiest way i've found with my 3D Bluray Discs is to use DVDFab or another similar program to convert the MKV that MakeMKV makes (or the raw 3D disc ISO) into a side by side or top bottom MKV file for easier playback. I'm yet to 'invest' in a 3D player but so many discs now come as a 2D/3D combo for only a couple of bucks more that i usually buy those.
jctcom

Post by jctcom »

Actually I hadn't thought of that. I do have a Samsung "Smart" TV and it is capable of DLNA etc... however it does not seem to recognize any .MKV files at all.

I also have the Samsung BDC-6900 (This is my 3D Blu-Ray player) and it does recognize & Play .MKV files. But it does not detect any 3D capability in the Men In Black file I ripped. Where the C200 produces a black screen the 6900 just plays it in 2D (And as you mentioned and I have seen in the past, it does not do a very good job of it with pauses etc... I think this is due to it's weak network handling of the larger files).

Still I am trying to figure out just what this ".MK3D" extension is all about?

Carl.
Stryker412

Post by Stryker412 »

Trying to create my first 3D MKV (Avengers). MakeMKV correctly labeled the video stream as Mpeg4 MVC 3D, however the file that is created is in 2D. What am I doing wrong?
cozzmo

Post by cozzmo »

What is the setup that you're using to play back the file?
Stryker412

Post by Stryker412 »

VLC, I thought it would at least look blurry so I would know it's in 3D.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

There is presently no open source MVC (what Blu-ray uses for 3D) decoder - you'll need commercial software to decode it in 3D.
cozzmo

Post by cozzmo »

Stryker412 wrote:VLC, I thought it would at least look blurry so I would know it's in 3D.
Unfortunately that's not how it works. If the player can't play 3D stream, it will play only the 2D frames.
jctcom

Post by jctcom »

Is it possible to get a list of the programs that will play the 3D MKV files created by MakeMKV? Even if they are not open source?

Thank you.

Carl.