List of DVD/BluRay that haven't worked

Everything related to MakeMKV
setarip_old

Re: List of DVD/BluRay that haven't worked

Post by setarip_old »

@makeitgo

If you read the following thread from the Slysoft Forum (I'm presuming it's NOT you who created it), it should provide you with some interesting insight (or "a dirty little secret", if you prefer) regarding .ISO image files created by their software - and, therefore, another reason you should use IMGBurn to create your .ISO image files ...

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=37885

makeitgo

Post by makeitgo »

The majority of these would have been ripped with DVDFab Platinum, not AnyDVD. I normally only use AnyDVD to rip my HD/BR and then use eac3to+megui to transcode to 720p (for space considerations) and mkvmerge to put everything back together. That method doesn't work for DVD though as it takes considerably longer than programs that just rip the video directly in a clean 1:1 conversion. I did try eac3to on some uncompressed dvdshrunk vobs, but the results were unusable even with chapters added. DVDShrink handles the isos fine, which then passed on to mkvmerge. I prefer MakeMKV for this, both as a 1-step solution and since I sometimes have to spend time playing with the audio offset on mkvmerge to get audio to match up.

This is not a problem in MakeMKV, but I'd say the majority of my pre-existing isos don't work with it. I've fallen back to using MakeMKV with the original discs, although there are some isos where I ripped them some years back, but the original discs aren't in that great shape in large due to those horrible caselogic-style binders that used to be in vogue before people started to realize that the material scratches the heck out of your discs. Some of the older ones that I hadn't ripped I ended up just upgrading to HD/BR rather than deal with trying to rip an artifact-rich dvd. There doesn't seem to be any unifying factor for what isos work vs. which don't. Many older ones worked perfectly fine, while some newer ones from mint discs don't play nice with makemkv. I get the whole "burn with imageburn thing" and I'll certainly explore that for the future, but I'm most interested in finding a solution for the isos I have - specifically dvd's that i've ripped but the originals now are in very poor condition either from the binder-style storage in the past or chemical breakdown of the disc itself (some of them have a haze on the discs and the originals now skip a bit if they even play although they weren't like that when i ripped them several years back). For newer discs or ones where the original is still in servicable condition I've started deleting the isos and ripping straight from the source. The problem is I have an extensive collection and I'm hamstrung with what I can do for the older ones (I mean I guess I could burn them and try to rip off the physical disc, but there's a number of them so it's easier said then done).

I don't have any intention of slandering makemkv. For what it does it does it's job very well. It's just a frustrating situation as some of these have to be ripped from the iso (although I will try burning and see if it reads the burned backup copy properly) since the originals are in such bad shape at this point and I have too many movies to buy replacements or upgrades to BR for the ones that I can't easily convert.
skeeter

Post by skeeter »

Hi All,
Michael Jackson's This is It...BD does not work.
It scans the disc OK, but, when creating the MKV files it get partially complete on the first title00.mkv, then gets a fatal error.

Skeeter
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@skeeter

Hi!

I just purchased that BluRay (U.S.) - and succesfully ripped ALL of the titles.

Check to see if your disc is either dirty or physically damaged.

Hve you used the same ssytem to rip any other BluRay discs recently?

If not, perhaps your drive needs a cleaning. Maxell sells a drive cleaning disc for about $10U.S.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@makeitgo

1) Did you read the thread at Slysoft for which I provided a link? If so, do you understand how using AnyDVD to create some of your ISOs may be part of your problem? Are you the "markg" (?) who started that thread?

2) You've now turned 180 degrees, having gone from stating that MakeMKV is "definitely" the cause of your problems and is "unstable" to acknowledging that many of your .ISOs and original discs are in poor condition. This, coupled with Slysoft's "dirty little secret" about .ISOs created by AnyDVD undoubtedly accounts for the vast majority of the problems you've experienced (As well as using the somewhat problematic Daemon Tools for mounting your .ISOs).

Do you now understand why I suggested the three experiments, using ONLY the programs I specified?
makeitgo

Post by makeitgo »

You are reading far more into what I am saying than I am saying. Just because someone has similar problems doesn't mean it's the same problem or that they're the same person. I am not markg or mark anything else.

And 2) You did not read me properly. A number of my older discs were ripped directly to my hard drive as I had fewer back then but still a fair number. They were in fine condition at the time I ripped them (when they were new), but subsequent storage of the DISCS has made some of them poor quality material (either due to scratches from the binder or disc decay) for trying to rip directly or re-iso and rip again as they skip, have artifacts etc... The isos made from them before are fine and mostly made with DVDFAB Platinum. A few may have been with AnyDVD, but I never used that program heavily until I started buying BR discs and then mostly for HD/BR not for DVD very often.

I also notice absolutely no difference between using the latest Daemon Tools or Virtual Clone Drive for mounting isos.

You don't find it remotely strange that MakeMKV seems to be the only program that doesn't read these isos? But please go ahead and keep blaming it on my discs (which were mint at the time they ripped and also as I stated it happens with newer discs as well which all are mint condition). I also notice you're blaming that other guys' system for not being able to rip a BR disc. I actually have two systems. Both have this problem. One of them is a fresh windows install with minimal software installed. It happens with DVD's that I've pulled out of manufacturer shrink rap (ie amazon, bestbuy, etc... purchases). Most of these were burned with DVDFAB although as I said a few may have been with AnyDVD. Whatever problems AnyDVD may have they're irrelevant as they don't affect this issue. You have to disable AnyDVD before doing anything with DVDFab anyway so AnyDVD is clearly not the cause of my problem.

I don't really see how my configuration could be the culprit as every other program I use has no issues with the iso files. This is on both machines mind you. I am using Win7x32. I will try IMGBurn when I get a chance, but I don't get the impression DVDFab will be the culprit either. I only ran into this problem when I started using MakeMKV as a quick solution to rip DVD's directly to MKV (the other solutions take a little bit more time.... well assuming MakeMKV is working correctly).
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@makeitgo

And never the twains shall meet ;>}

Perhaps another member, or the admin, will pick this up...
Last edited by setarip_old on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ringobob

Post by ringobob »

Had a few issues, but this is the one I'm on now. Stargate Special Edition (w/extra scenes):

Direct from disc:

Code: Select all

Saving 1 titles into directory [directory]
DEBUG: Code 896 at RGPa8UG1Efan_t*eU4%SE:29394804
DEBUG: Code 2147483647 at ErPS;"4bn{}<\uc[!K`:121261474
DEBUG: Code 23 at o_&?]V~9}b'*'JcC8(2:213133181
DEBUG: Code 1344 at RGPa8UG1Efan_t*eU4%SE:29394804
DEBUG: Code 19 at o_&?]V~9}b'*'JcC8(2:213133181
LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: MKV_ASSERT: TimecodeDelay >= int16(0x8000) && TimecodeDelay <= int16(0x7FFF)
Failed to save title 0
From file ripped using DVDFab:

Code: Select all

Saving 1 titles into directory [directory]
DEBUG: Code 896 at RGPa8UG1Efan_t*eU4%SE:29394804
DEBUG: Code 23 at o_&?]V~9}b'*'JcC8(2:213133181
DEBUG: Code 1344 at RGPa8UG1Efan_t*eU4%SE:29394804
DEBUG: Code 19 at o_&?]V~9}b'*'JcC8(2:213133181
LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: MKV_ASSERT: TimecodeDelay >= int16(0x8000) && TimecodeDelay <= int16(0x7FFF)
Failed to save title 0
makeitgo

Post by makeitgo »

So I've been going through manually and ripping from the original discs from all the ones that are still in servicable condition.

All of them seemed to work fine so far except Memento. Does anyone else have trouble with this title?
johnrowley

Post by johnrowley »

Opeth's Watershed bonus DVD (PAL.) Other than CSS I don't believe the disc has any copy protection and rips to .iso perfectly with DVDDecrypter and plays with VLC either direct from disc or from .iso. From either disc or .iso I get the following in MakeMKV.

MakeMKV v1.4.11 beta win(x86-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
Calculated BUP offset does not match one in IFO header.
CellWallk algorithm failed (structure protection is too tough?), trying CellTrim algorithm
Fake cells occupy 42% of the title - assuming fake title
Title #0 (0:00:00) was skipped
CellWallk algorithm failed (structure protection is too tough?), trying CellTrim algorithm
Fake cells occupy 71% of the title - assuming fake title
Title #1 (0:00:00) was skipped
Cells 2-end were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Title #2 was added (1 cell(s), 0:06:28)
Operation sucessfully completed

If I try with CellWalk i get the following:

Title #0 (0:52:25) was skipped due to navigation error
Title #1 (0:55:00) was skipped due to navigation error
Cells 2-end were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Title #2 was added (1 cell(s), 0:06:28)
Operation sucessfully completed

And CellTrim;

Fake cells occupy 42% of the title - assuming fake title
Title #0 (0:00:00) was skipped
Fake cells occupy 71% of the title - assuming fake title
Title #1 (0:00:00) was skipped
CellTrim algorithm failed since title has only 3 chapters
Title #2 (0:16:34) was skipped due to navigation error
Failed to open disc

In both cases the only option is to create a 12.2mb mkv but the disc contains 2.8gb of music / music videos.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

makeitgo wrote:So I've been going through manually and ripping from the original discs from all the ones that are still in servicable condition.

All of them seemed to work fine so far except Memento. Does anyone else have trouble with this title?
The error in your log has nothing to do with ISO format - it is an error in VOB file structure. Can you please post or send to support@makemkv.com the full log file, it should contain additional information that would be helpful.
skaterboi

Post by skaterboi »

king of scotland failed to:

Debug log started at Tue Feb 02 20:41:34 2010 , written by MakeMKV v1.4.11 beta win(x86-release)
001014:000000:0000 MakeMKV v1.4.11 beta win(x86-release) started
001013:000000:0000 Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Documents and Settings\Sean/MakeMKV_log.txt
003010:000000:0000 Using direct disc access mode
003326:000000:0000 Loaded 1 SVQ file(s)
003334:000000:0000 Processing BD+ code, please be patient - this may take up to few minutes
003332:000000:0000 Processing BD+ code using generic SVQ from allcombo.svq
001012:000000:0020 DEBUG: Code 0 at Tappane}-anFFptW:213133457
001012:000000:0020 DEBUG: Code 0 at Tappane}-anFFptW:121263061
001012:000000:0020 DEBUG: Code 0 at Tappane}-anFFptW:29398415
003333:000000:0000 Failed to process BD+ code using generic SVQ from allcombo.svq
001012:000000:0020 DEBUG: Code 0 at O:4B^/!d\_gUV8"DU+Er@:213133250
003341:000000:0000 Saved BD+ dump file as C:/Seans_Playhouse/dump_The_Last_King_of_Scotland_7D395FE1D82AD3E4.tgz
003329:000000:0000 Failed to process BD+ code, please check http://www.makemkv.com/svq/ for updated program and SVQ files
001012:000000:0020 DEBUG: Code 0 at s3T6@\rX=d* 9h:rquK:213132721
005010:000000:0000 Failed to open disc
Application exited at Tue Feb 02 20:43:04 2010
benchmarkjoe

Post by benchmarkjoe »

First use MakeMKV to convert Spiderman 1. The Video and Audio out of syns. Any idea!!!
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

setarip_old wrote:@makeitgo

1) Did you read the thread at Slysoft for which I provided a link? If so, do you understand how using AnyDVD to create some of your ISOs may be part of your problem? Are you the "markg" (?) who started that thread?

2) You've now turned 180 degrees, having gone from stating that MakeMKV is "definitely" the cause of your problems and is "unstable" to acknowledging that many of your .ISOs and original discs are in poor condition. This, coupled with Slysoft's "dirty little secret" about .ISOs created by AnyDVD undoubtedly accounts for the vast majority of the problems you've experienced (As well as using the somewhat problematic Daemon Tools for mounting your .ISOs).

Do you now understand why I suggested the three experiments, using ONLY the programs I specified?
Hey guys, I was catching up after being absent from the board for a while due to the press of work and noticed this. For the record, I have only one active user ID here (or on any board, I always use Marc_G or some similar variant). So, Makeitgo's comments are his/hers and not mine. I am always quite open about who I am! 8)

I found indeed that mounting an .iso (created by AnyDVDHD) in Virtual Clone Drive wasn't exactly the same thing as mounting the real disc in a BD drive, though I'm still unclear about exactly why. I abandoned my threads about this due to the press of other matters but stand by my experiences that say 4 months ago I never had any trouble ripping any MKVs out of VCD-mounted .isos or physical discs (+AnyDVDHD in both cases) with the combination of the then-current editions of MakeMKV and AnyDVDHD, but these days I do sometimes have problems. I imagine this is due to the combination of more sophistocated protection schemes plus the continued advancement of both pieces of software, resulting in more conflicts. I have several cases where MakeMKV didn't like having AnyDVDHD running, and failed to open discs properly. Turning off AnyDVDHD fixed the problems. So, MakeMKV has worked as advertised quite well for me, though not exactly the way I used it before (this isn't the authors' fault).

I'll need to read up a bit to see what this dirty little AnyDVDHD secret is...

Marc
dirio49

dirty little AnyDVDHD secret is AACS

Post by dirio49 »

Hello.
Just wanted to says that there is no little "secret" as I understand it.
The ISO that Anydvd does with protection on or so call bit identical, can be done with Imgburn, Nero, DD command in Linux, or any other program that that copy disks.
Any Program that can copy disks. After all that is the beauty of AACS you can copy by cannot play it, unlike CSS where you cannot copy because the sectors are scrambled, here the file are encrypted, the sectors are fine.
As for the why you cannot open them with another program or play them is because of the AACS protection, the VID that cannot be copied and does not exist on the ISO.
And in order for you to play or do anything with ISO you need that VID to decrypt the Disk.
All Anydvd has is a database, that has a hash of a file that is always different for each move and it has it stored inside the programs and that is how it can open the ISO that are made. What i guess it does is, look at the mounted iso, it sees it has not VID, or cannot get, looks at the hash, and looks in the database and gets the VUD to decrypt the disks. Kind of how Dumpbd does if it cannot get the VID, that is why the threads are there at Doom9. The VUD cannot be revoked.

@ Mike
Sorry just a little fed up with people say "secret" when they should read up on what the reason really is.

Later
Hope it clears up any speculation