1.7.3, Application failed to initialize

Everything related to MakeMKV
mvmkv

1.7.3, Application failed to initialize

Post by mvmkv »

Hi,

Is there a known issue with 1.7.3 for Windows 7?

I just downloaded the latest version, installed it and when I try to run it I instantly get a popup with the message "Application failed to initialize".

Is it possible that a compile error slipped through the package building process!? (I saw a post in the Linux section that mentioned something like that).

Cheers,
Woodstock

Re: 1.7.3, Application failed to initialize

Post by Woodstock »

This error has popped up in the past... because, SOMETIMES, MakeMKV won't properly exit. The command line portion will continue to "run" after the GUI is closed. If it is still loaded in memory, the install of the new version will be unable to copy the newer version to disk, and you have a mis-match between the GUI and CLI.

Bring up the task manager, and make sure NO "makemkv" files are listed in the Processes tab. You're looking for both makemkv.exe and makemkvcon??.exe, so sort by "Image Name". If you find any, right click on them and select "End Process Tree".

Once you have them all cleared out of memory, re-install the new version. It should work.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mvmkv

Re: 1.7.3, Application failed to initialize

Post by mvmkv »

Woodstock wrote: Once you have them all cleared out of memory, re-install the new version. It should work.
Thanks for the tip.

I restarted the PC, reinstalled the software and it is now working fine.

Thank you.