Can rip DVD but only in 1 file

Everything related to MakeMKV
Drusylla

Can rip DVD but only in 1 file

Post by Drusylla »

Hey there,

First off want to say thanks for the great software, but I'm having a bit of an issue with it. I have a set of Trigun DVDs and I'm trying to rip out the individual episodes. However, when I can get MAKEMKV to read the disc, the first time usually results in an error, it only finds 1 track with 35 chapters when there should be 7 tracks.

It is finding both languages as well as the subtitles and it does all rip the single file correctly. Is there a way I can get the program to recognize the different episodes or do I need to find away to process the one huge file in to parts.

Thanks so much in advance!
paulster

Re: Can rip DVD but only in 1 file

Post by paulster »

If your 7 episodes are all contained in the one file then it's a strangely mastered DVD and there isn't a whole lot MakeMKV can do.

In these circumstances you can use MKVtoolnix to split the MKV at specific timecodes, corresponding to the chapters where you want the breaks to be. You basically use the chapter editor in MKVtoolnix to get the timecodes you need for the breaks, and then add the MKV as an input file on the Input tab, enable splitting and enter your comma-separated timecodes on the Global tab and then hit Start Muxing.

Each time it gets to one of your timecodes it'll start a new MKV file for output which should get your file back into individual episodes.
Drusylla

Post by Drusylla »

Thank you very much. I was afraid I was doing something wrong! It's just a weird little anime DVD I guess.

I took your advice for splitting and followed it up with a Handbrake conversion to get the size I wanted. Thanks so much! Great forum and a great product!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

You will find the combined-in-one-file issue common with Anime. The latest versions of MakeMKV are better at reading the disk to find links to the individual episodes when the disk ALSO has a "select an episode" option, but it is nowhere near 100%.

You will also want to have something like VLC handy to let you check the chapter maps. While many series like Trigun use the same maps for multiple disks, some vary between 3 and 8 chapters per episode on the same disk. When they're all the same, though, it is very convenient to have Handbrake save the current working queue as a batch file, and edit the batch file for later disks.

It is also a bit more reliable - all too often, Handbrake's built-in queue will encounter a logging error in the Java runtime, and crash mid-queue, even though the encode went fine. Running as a batch file, each encode is a separate task, and one does not interfere with any others.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Woodstock wrote:It is also a bit more reliable - all too often, Handbrake's built-in queue will encounter a logging error in the Java runtime
.NET runtime error - HandBrake doesn't use Java.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Whether it was a Java or .Net error is kind of moot right now, one of the recent changes to the nightlies has removed the batch file option from the Queue window on Windows. I can still run existing batch files, but the only option I have found (after clicking and right clicking on just about EVERYthing) is to export to a "hbq" XML file, which is a PITA to edit, compared to the batch files.

Edited to add:

Found it... to reenable saving to a batch file, you have to completely uninstall the latest nightly, removal all handbrake directories from the temporary directory, install a version from mid-June or before, then put the (missing from new nightly versions) handbrake_old.exe file in place of handbrake.exe, BEFORE you run it the first time.

Someone decided the new "Windows Presentation Foundation" interface would become the ONLY version available, prior to all the original features being implemented. :shock:
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging