A few minor suggestions about MakeMKV

Everything related to MakeMKV
Someoneelse

A few minor suggestions about MakeMKV

Post by Someoneelse »

First off, this has worked almost flawlessly for ripping my DVD collection and few BluRays. Great job all around to the devs! I've hit a couple of snags, but I'll confirm the errors and post those in the appropriate forum.

However, I would have a few suggestions to make, if at all possible. First is that there appears to be no way to tell what the aspect ratio of a track may be [EDIT: Looks like I missed it initially, but found that MakeMKV does display the aspect ratio if you look in the right place. However, this suggestion could still apply to non-anamorphic widescreen as it seems it still gets reported as 4:3]. Many discs come with both PS and WS and it can be a pain to differentiate the two. Would it be possible to include that information in the track info, or even provide a few preview stills of the track, similar to what Handbrake does for applying certain effects? It could simplify the ripping process for many. I know that the streaming feature exists, but it's a bit much just to verify the aspect ratio. In addition, can you add a "Select/Deselect All" option to the track selection view? Some discs have a lot of tracks and you may only want one. It would be easier to simply deselect everything and select the main track that you want to rip.

There's also another issue that's probably fairly unique to my setup and really isn't a big deal. I'm running OS 10.7.4. I hooked up a few external DVD drives and a BluRay drive for a total of four optical drives. Creating 4 copies of MakeMKV and running them all at once works just fine to rip four disks at a time and greatly speeds things up. However, it seems that even if MakeMKV isn't ripping a disk, it's still somehow using it and prevents it from being ejected. I can't get the discs out until all four copies are done and closed. Like I said, not a big deal, but if there's a simple solution then it would be greatly appreciated.

On a somewhat related note, you guys should also put a plainly-visible donation link up on the site. Some people may not feel the need to buy a license key (and well, we all know that some people will find ways around that anyway), may only rip DVDs, may only use it a few times, etc, but may feel like tossing a few bucks your way in appreciation. I didn't see anything clearly on the site, so this may be a way to bring in a little extra money from grateful users.

Like I said, I'm impressed by this product and am very happy that you've managed to provide it. These are minor quibbles/suggestions, so I hope I don't come off as an ungrateful whiner. Thanks again!