The Hunger Games BD, which chapters to choose

Everything related to MakeMKV
DJRumpy

Re: The Hunger Games BD, which chapters to choose

Post by DJRumpy »

Then you should probably tell Fry's Electronics that...
joe42

Post by joe42 »

DJRumpy wrote:Then you should probably tell Fry's Electronics that...
If you are seriously suggesting that you got a bootleg disc from Fry's, then YOU should be the one to tell them.

Everyone else who purchased Hunger Games retail discs received discs with about 50 very similar playlists.
Mondays

Post by Mondays »

About Playlists (Titles) that show up on MakeMKV. On BDs that show multiple similar size titles, often there is only one version of the movie if you pop the disc in your player and look at the menu - something I rarely do anymore. I just play the MKV on my Dune.

This is the case with The Hunger Games. I just put it in my Blu Ray to see if I could get a clue why there are 50 + titles. I discovered there is only one version of the movie available in the BD menu - no director's cut, clean version, alt ending.. just the movie and the normal trailers, and settings.

What are these multiple titles I see on almost ever BD I rip?
paulster

Post by paulster »

Mondays wrote:What are these multiple titles I see on almost ever BD I rip?
They are often fake titles with the segments rearranged so the movie will appear to have the correct overall length but if you were to play it you'd get chunks of it in the wrong order. Sometimes the fake ones will have a slightly longer running time or more chapters since this is what some of the automated rippers look for. It's designed to make it difficult to copy.
DJRumpy

Post by DJRumpy »

I'm not suggesting it, although you seem to be. Perhaps you should ask the developer why you see so many titles with duration filtering on?
Mondays

Post by Mondays »

paulster wrote:
They are often fake titles with the segments rearranged so the movie will appear to have the correct overall length but if you were to play it you'd get chunks of it in the wrong order. Sometimes the fake ones will have a slightly longer running time or more chapters since this is what some of the automated rippers look for. It's designed to make it difficult to copy.
That would seem to be logical, but I have ripped 150+ movies with multiple Titles and never have noticed a problem with the movie when watched. I normally pick the largest size title that has the most chapters. Normally if there are 3 titles they are all have the same number of chapters and their size might be very slightly different.

Again, perhaps I just didn't notice, but if chapters or scenes were out of order it would seem obvious at least sometimes. Multiple titles have never been an issue for me, but I have been seeing them since I started using MakeMKV and have always wondered about them. When 55 titles showed up for The Hunger Games I decided to see if anyone else was wondering the same thing.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

It's a copy protection called Screen Pass. They put a bunch of fake playlists that either play things out of sequence, repeat things, or generally just mess with your viewing experience in some way. You need to pick the correct playlist to get the right movie sequence. That's why SlySoft added support to AnyDVD for displaying the correct playlist. Doing so, however, is not an easy task for software.
joe42

Post by joe42 »

DJRumpy wrote:I'm not suggesting it, although you seem to be. Perhaps you should ask the developer why you see so many titles with duration filtering on?
I'm not sure if you are trolling or just clueless. Everyone in this thread except you sees about 50 playlists (with longer than 20 minutes runtime) in MakeMKV for The Hunger Games disc.
DJRumpy

Post by DJRumpy »

Would you like to see a copy of the receipt?
joe42

Post by joe42 »

Mondays wrote:
paulster wrote:
That would seem to be logical, but I have ripped 150+ movies with multiple Titles and never have noticed a problem with the movie when watched. I normally pick the largest size title that has the most chapters. Normally if there are 3 titles they are all have the same number of chapters and their size might be very slightly different.
As SamuriHL said, for this particular title it is intended as a bizarre form of copy protection. Most blu-ray discs do NOT have this form of copy protection. So most of the discs you have ripped only have a small number of playlists (after you filter out anything with a very short runtime).

For most discs that have a few playlists, there can be various reasons. Sometimes it is a localization thing -- a few frames may have the title in a different language (or just a different name). Sometimes the extras can be quite long and may show up even if you filter out short playlists. Sometimes it is just a difference in the chapters. Etc.
Last edited by joe42 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Good Lord people. Not all regions use the same protection. Some may use Screen Pass (region A for sure does) while others don't. This isn't something to argue about.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

joe42 wrote: As SamuriHL said, for this particular title it is intended as a bizarre form of copy protection. Most blu-ray discs do NOT have this form of copy protection. So most of the discs you have ripped only have a small number of playlists (after you filter out anything with a very short runtime).

For most discs that have a few playlists, there can be various reasons. Sometimes it is a localization thing -- a few frames may have the title in a different language (or just a different name). Sometimes the extras can be quite long and may show up even if you filter out shorted playlists. Sometimes it is just a difference in the chapters. Etc.
A lot of times there are multiple playlists for theatrical vs extended version. We see that quite a bit.
joe42

Post by joe42 »

DJRumpy wrote:Would you like to see a copy of the receipt?
No, but it would be interesting for you to post a screenshot of MakeMKV showing all the playlists on your Hunger Games disc to see why yours is different than everyone else's.
joe42

Post by joe42 »

SamuriHL wrote:Not all regions use the same protection. Some may use Screen Pass (region A for sure does) while others don't.
Does Fry's sell non-region A discs? I don't think Fry's has any non-US stores.
joe42

Post by joe42 »

SamuriHL wrote: A lot of times there are multiple playlists for theatrical vs extended version. We see that quite a bit.
Good lord, man! Didn't you read what he wrote? Theatrical vs. extended is not what he was talking about.