Extreme Case of Window Boxing...Need Help.

Everything related to MakeMKV
Sig32

Extreme Case of Window Boxing...Need Help.

Post by Sig32 »

I decided to try out this program and I am running into some trouble. I had 2 DVD's ripped and stored on an HDD in VOB format and one DVD that I used MakeMKV directly on. When playing the files on my PCH A-110 I get extreme window boxing (12" tall picture on a 50" TV) on all 3 when my video setting is "actual size". Is there a setting on the program that I am overlooking?

Also I have the same DVD in both MKV and ISO formats. The MKV file is 3.8GB and the ISO is 3.6GB. Is this correct, shouldn't the MKV be substantially smaller?
Sybock

Re: Extreme Case of Window Boxing...Need Help.

Post by Sybock »

I had this happen with one particular DVD but I can't remember which movie it was now. I never worried about it because the player(s) I use can all compensate for this. I believe the movie Ravenous does this and I don't think it's directly related to MakeMKV in any way.
Taddeusz

Re: Extreme Case of Window Boxing...Need Help.

Post by Taddeusz »

Probably means it is a 4x3 letterboxed movie rather than being an actual 16x9 movie. Your only option would probably be to use the zoom controls on your TV to enlarge the video to fit the screen. Letterboxing is one of those evil things that should have ended with the VHS tape but for whatever reasons movie production companies think they still have to give us crappy transfers like that from time to time.