Problems and more problems

Everything related to MakeMKV
JoeDoe

Problems and more problems

Post by JoeDoe »

1. What a hassle to sign up for this forum. The CAPCHA is horrible. Took numerous tries to register.

2. MakeMKV is now "Expired" on my computer and the website download still doesn't work two days after the expiration of the 30 day limit. If you want to make your program a 30 day trial then fine, but don't say redownload the program if your not going to upload the replacement file by the time the other one expires! That shows lack of support from the programmer and frankly pisses me off.

3. $50 is way too much considering this program doesn't work well on blu-ray disks. On DVD's it works great but Blu-rays have choppy separated pictures in areas of the movie (multiple different BD's). I'm just not impressed enough to pay that much when there are BETTER programs like BDRebuilder out there for free. BDRebuilders picture quality is better than MakeMKV and the file is smaller (because it's recoded). If the blu-ray function WORKED I might be willing to pay $20 but considering the lack of support shown to date, it's not worth using it even for free.

4. This thing has been in BETA for years? Really! It can't be BETA forever and NO ONE buys a program for $50 that's listed as "BETA".

5. If these issues were fixed and the price was way lower, I might consider purchasing it but for now I'm going to use BDRebuilder.
Woodstock

Re: Problems and more problems

Post by Woodstock »

1. The CAPCHA isn't too hard - there are a lot of bots that seem to be able to solve it pretty well, as witnessed by multiple messages posted today by one.

2 .There is a permanent message in the announcements section that has an updated key for those who do the "free beta" route. Registered users don't have to bother.

3. The value of the software to you is something only you can decide. I have yet to find a BD that MakeMKV doesn't handle immediately, or soon after it is released. I've gotten more than my $50 out of it in value. Heck, I'd gotten that before I registered!

3a. A lot of BD play problems are centered on the PLAYBACK SOFTWARE (big offender) and network issues (some networks just can't feed the data fast enough to play it smoothly). I fix the former by using better software, the latter by running the MKV files through Handbrake to dramatically reduce the necessary bandwidth to play.

4. Google Mail was in beta for years. Based upon actual performance, most of Microsoft's product line is in a perpetual "paid beta". Another thing with beta programs is that new features are usually being added. Take a look at Handbrake - you have a "release version", and the beta stuff in the "nightly builds". One works well with BD video, the other not so much. Which do you think is which?

5. Looks like you've made your choice. I think the price point is not out of line, you think it is. Hopefully, BDR will work out for you.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

What Woodstock said!

SC
twa000

Post by twa000 »

JoeDoe wrote:1. What a hassle to sign up for this forum. The CAPCHA is horrible. Took numerous tries to register.
looking at your join date, either you are a spammer, or you have been using a copy of MakeMKV from another site, in which case its not surprising your comments are so out of line with reality.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

JoeDoe wrote:On DVD's it works great but Blu-rays have choppy separated pictures in areas of the movie (multiple different BD's).
That's total BS.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
BlackDragon24

Post by BlackDragon24 »

Chetwood wrote:
JoeDoe wrote:On DVD's it works great but Blu-rays have choppy separated pictures in areas of the movie (multiple different BD's).
That's total BS.
Pretty much.

It was such a PITA to sign up for this forum....that's why he spent ALL that time fighting thru the captchas so he could come here and spend even more time writing a long post about how much makemkv sucks.

Not the best way to seek help or make friends.

Been using this program for almost 2 years now. Love it. Thanks again for the hard work mike.
JoeDoe

Post by JoeDoe »

Chetwood - If you would like I will upload a portion of the blu-ray ripped with MakeMKV 1.7.7 to YouTube and you can view the problem for yourself. Let me know I would be glad to make it available to you.

twa000 - No I'm not a spammer and I have never had that kind of problem signing up on any other site. No, I am using the version from the site and downloaded it yesterday after my previous version expired and the new download was from the correct site (http://www.makemkv.com/download/) not elsewhere. Today a new version is posted (1.7.8).

Woodstock -
1. It was for me (possibly server issues) but I know for a fact I put in the correct CAPCHA more than once and it was rejected.
2. I just signed up yesterday and did not know about the BETA key, I will try it, thank you
3. I own thousands of dollars worth of software that I have purchased over the years. I do not mind paying for software that works for me, unfortunately what may work for some people doesn't always work for others due to system configurations and other conflicting software. I do not mind paying for software to support the programmer.
4. BETA - As you stated there are many programs that run in BETA, but they don't require you to get a new key every 30 days, they usually just expire. I understand why it is done, to generate business, so people will buy a paid key so they don't have to hassle with the BETA key every month. BDR is also in BETA but does not require a key. MakeMKV is much, much faster then BDR and that is an advantage.
5. If it worked for me and I was going to use it enough I may consider paying $50 but if the price were lower more people would actually buy it and stop using the BETA key. This may not generate more income for the programmer but more users in the long run who may also suggest it to others to use because of it's good price. So basically in the long term, more money for the programmer.

Thank you all for your responses
BlackDragon24

Post by BlackDragon24 »

JoeDoe wrote:Chetwood - If you would like I will upload a portion of the blu-ray ripped with MakeMKV 1.7.7 to YouTube and you can view the problem for yourself. Let me know I would be glad to make it available to you.
Which blurays are exhibiting this behavior?

A lot of newer blurays have a new type of protection that causes makemkv to see them with several playlists that are incorrect. Choosing the wrong playlist could cause what you are seeing.

Give us a list...you said several BD's are having problems. I've backed up over 300 blu-rays with makemkv and never had this problem, so let us know and we can probably help.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@JoeDoe

Hi!
MakeMKV is much, much faster then BDR
If by "BDR" you mean "BD Rebuilder", you are comparing the proverbial apples and oranges, as BD Rebuider is not a "ripping" (removal of protection) program, but DOES perform compression and conversion, whereas MakeMKV DOES perform "ripping", but NO compression...

JoeDoe

Post by JoeDoe »

BlackDragon24 - Latest Blu-Rays with issues are with Season 1 of "Game of Thrones".

In sections of the movie, during playback (after MKV rip), the top 1/3 of the video is not aligned with the lower 2/3 section of the video. For instance - the heads of people in the upper 1/3 of the screen will be "offset" to the right or left from the rest of their body in the lower 2/3 of the screen. This occurred on my computer and on TV playback using a totally different computer. I will use MakeMKV and cut out one of the sections with the problem and upload it to YouTube. I have deleted the original MKV I made with 1.7.7 so I will have to rip it again. I will post again when this is complete.

Thanks for the help
BlackDragon24

Post by BlackDragon24 »

JoeDoe wrote:BlackDragon24 - Latest Blu-Rays with issues are with Season 1 of "Game of Thrones".

In sections of the movie, during playback (after MKV rip), the top 1/3 of the video is not aligned with the lower 2/3 section of the video. For instance - the heads of people in the upper 1/3 of the screen will be "offset" to the right or left from the rest of their body in the lower 2/3 of the screen. This occurred on my computer and on TV playback using a totally different computer. I will use MakeMKV and cut out one of the sections with the problem and upload it to YouTube. I have deleted the original MKV I made with 1.7.7 so I will have to rip it again. I will post again when this is complete.

Thanks for the help
You don't have to take the time to upload to youtube....just tell me exactly which episode and a timeframe for which you see these weird shifts and I'll look myself because I have the disks. The files I have backed up in .mkv format have not exhibited the behavior you speak of but I backed it up with an earlier version of makemkv.

Makemkv does not alter the stream in any way so it has to be something with your playback. But I'm willing to rip an episode from disk again using the newest version to verify. Just tell me which one you know does this for sure.
JoeDoe

Post by JoeDoe »

BlackDragon24 wrote: Makemkv does not alter the stream in any way so it has to be something with your playback.
After reading your reply, I will now eat crow and apologize to anyone I may have offended who was trying to help.

I was using VLC Player v2.0.3 to play the finished MKV file when this "shifting" of the video playback occurred. As per your advice about it possibly being a playback issue, I installed Media Player Classic v1.6.4.6052 and the problem does not exist when using it.

Thanks for the help, it was much appreciated.

I will now seriously consider purchasing the program.
BlackDragon24

Post by BlackDragon24 »

JoeDoe wrote:
BlackDragon24 wrote: Makemkv does not alter the stream in any way so it has to be something with your playback.
After reading your reply, I will now eat crow and apologize to anyone I may have offended who was trying to help.

I was using VLC Player v2.0.3 to play the finished MKV file when this "shifting" of the video playback occurred. As per your advice about it possibly being a playback issue, I installed Media Player Classic v1.6.4.6052 and the problem does not exist when using it.

Thanks for the help, it was much appreciated.

I will now seriously consider purchasing the program.
Glad it got sorted. Its a great program and truly worthy of our support. Enjoy!
mantis3dfx

Post by mantis3dfx »

Well I certainly find the software very useful, However I do have a couple of questions, which a brief search has not seemed to reveal anything helpful so far, and are as follows:

1) Where do I go to pay for the software? - (Good software deserves to be supported), I can't seem to find the PAY or BUY link anywhere on the MakeMKV sight.

2) I managed to compile the 1.7.7 source and binary's no problem according to the install procedure for Linux (I'm running PCLinuxOS 2012.8 KDE 4.8.3), but after downloading the current 1.7.8 files, I seem to be having problems actually running MakeMKV. Everything seems to compile without any problems, - it just errors with "Application failed to initialize". Are there any differences for dependencies between 1.7.7 and 1.7.8??

3) are there instrucs anywhere for peeps like me who are not terribly confident with compiling etc, showing how to compile or patch ffmpeg to mmffmpeg - I downloaded the files, but unsure how to proceed to apply them to MakeMKV??

Cheers in advance to all. :-)
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

My sig should answer your first question, but your other questions really belong in their own thread in the Linux section.

SC