Friends Blu Ray Collection

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
paddyo

Re: Friends Blu Ray Collection

Post by paddyo »

You guys are awesome. Just used the info in this thread to save a LOT of time. Handbrake still has a couple of days to go, but that's a hands-off task :)

I wanted to do my part and contribute, hopefully it will help someone else too. I like to name my files with the episode name, so I took H0lyH4ndGr3nade's dictionary and updated. Rename result is

Friends - SxxEyy - EpisodeName.mkv

Just remove the _r1 before use.
dictionary_r1.txt
(16.51 KiB) Downloaded 1495 times
FYI re Season 2 Disc 2: wurzl's was the correct listing for me, so those changes are also reflected in the file.
Fubie

Post by Fubie »

This is very cool, I love it and thank you for doing this!

I installed Python on my Win10 machine. Setup the variables so the script would execute in my Season1 folder(this is where I put the rename.py and your updated dictonary.txt file)

But when i run D:\My Files\Videos\Season1 rename.py nothing happens. The file names are not changed and there is no error.

If I test to make sure python is installed and running I get this.

D:\My Files\Videos\Season1>py
Python 3.7.4 (tags/v3.7.4:e09359112e, Jul 8 2019, 20:34:20) [MSC v.1916 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

So I know it's ok.

What am I doing wrong
Drive Information
Manufacturer: BUFFALO
Revision: BU10

LibreDrive Information
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
paddyo

Post by paddyo »

Hey Fubie.

In case you're not, use python.exe and not pythonw.exe since the latter suppresses showing what's going on and error messages.

If it returns without making any changes or throwing an error, I'd think the most likely cause is it's just not finding matches between your file names and those in the dictionary file.
Fubie

Post by Fubie »

Thanks!

I'll check when I get home.
Drive Information

LibreDrive Information
Fubie

Post by Fubie »

I changed the filename of the first line in the dictionary just to test.

It still did not work.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LjaaFTeh3W8vN8p48
Drive Information

LibreDrive Information
paddyo

Post by paddyo »

Are your original files in the same format as in the dictionary file? After running through MakeMKV they will have spaces, you'll need to replace these with underscores. There are many tools that can help, I used Advanced Renamer.

E.g.,

Friends Season 1 Disc 1_t00.mkv needs to be Friends_Season_1_Disc_1_t00.mkv
Fubie

Post by Fubie »

Thanks for letting me know that. I can solve that thanks to you using bulk rename utility. So replacing the spaces with underscores is easy.

But I found a problem.

In the Dictionary.txt file the filenames are shown as "Friends_Season_1_Disc_1_t04.mkv"

But my ripped filenames are "Friends S1 E01.mkv"

As you can see the Dictionary.txt has Disk# followed by the Track# while the ripped has the season# and disk#.

What would be the best way to resolve this issue. Please keep in mind I'm a Bulk Rename noob.
Drive Information

LibreDrive Information
Fubie

Post by Fubie »

Are these your MakeMKV file settings

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2stcgoji3kan ... 5.png?dl=0
Drive Information

LibreDrive Information
paddyo

Post by paddyo »

Hey Fubie. I think you've hit on the right issue. I've never tweaked the output naming convention from the default, so mine is

{NAME1}{-:CMNT1}{-:DT}{title:+DFLT}{_t:N2}

If you've only ripped Season 1 so far, easiest course might be to re-rip.
Fubie

Post by Fubie »

Unfortunately I ripped ALL 10 seasons... lol...
But that's OK, I'll re rip season 1 with your output name and see if that makes a difference. Thanks!
Drive Information

LibreDrive Information
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

On Windows, in Explorer, you can make use of the clipboard to quickly rename things.

Navigate to the directory. Find the first file, highlight it and hit F2 to rename. Type in the correct name, then highlight the "common portion", and hit Ctrl-C to copy that part into the clipboard. Instead of hitting Enter to save the new name, though, hit Tab to move to the next title... Ctrl-V copies the common portion to into place, put the episode number on after it, hit Tab again.

I typically run through a directory of 12-26 episodes in under a minute.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Fubie

Post by Fubie »

That worked! Except :(

I think the person that made the list ripped from DVD because(mine are from Bluray) because only half of the episodes were renamed for season 1.

I've attached a screenshot.

Any ideas

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5g2c7cd47vqhf ... 6.png?dl=0
Drive Information

LibreDrive Information
pbryanw

Post by pbryanw »

@Fubie - I guess you've already worked this out, but the episodes in your list that weren't renamed, are just the ones with extra Japanese subtitles & language tracks. While the ones dictionary.txt refers to, are the episodes with European (& Other) subtitles & language tracks (as far as I can recall).

I also made the mistake of ripping everything on each Disc at first. Then I realised I just needed to rip the episodes with the European language tracks - and only these ones got renamed by the rename.py script.

Also, a big thanks to @H0lyH4ndGr3nade for the python script, and accompanying dictionary.txt. I can't imagine what it would have been like to rename all ten seasons of Friends manually, without this.

Also thanks to @paddyo, because I also needed to use Bulk Renamer Utility to replace spaces with underscores in each episode title, before they were recognised by the script. I also found the easiest way to install Python, was through the Windows Store. This also adds the command to the system path, which makes things easier if you ever need to run it from a cmd prompt.
philb1701

Post by philb1701 »

When I converted my Friends blu-rays, I used a blu-ray player program to tell me the actual file name (NOT the episode name) and used that to determine the episode name. Be advised though, there are going to be some differences in content in some episodes between the ones on blu-ray and the ones being broadcast.

I kept my original set of DVD Friends converted files just for this very reason.

If you're not sure which file to grab, take all the ones that have a similar runtime (typically 22-23 minutes), convert them and then use a program like Mac X Video Converter Pro. It will let you peak into the file and determine which ones are straight episodes and which ones have commentary. You can then decide what files you want to keep and so on before you run them through Handbrake.
newbs

Post by newbs »

I am just starting out on learning how to rip these discs and was very happy to have found this thread. What I ended up doing was selecting all the "non-Japanese" files in MakeMKV, which meant that I ended up with a lot of extra files. Some of those files are extras, correct? Has anyone created an index for the extras? Some of those files, however, look like they are just another copy of an episode. Does anyone know what those extra files are? Are there any differences from the ones in the conversion lists above? On some discs it is only 1 or 2 extra files, but in some cases there were a full set of extras. Any help would be appreciated.