Demuxing PGS Subtitles

Everything related to MakeMKV
ematthys

Demuxing PGS Subtitles

Post by ematthys »

I can't seem to demux any of the PGS subtitle streams from the mkv's that MakeMKV creates.

I have tried tsMuxerGUI, eac3to, and mkvextract (which I am not sure has PGS subtitle support anyway, but it didn't hurt to try).

tsMuxerGUI simply says...

Some tracks not recognized. These tracks will be ignored.

eac3to says, in this particulary example that I have 3 subtitle tracks...

3: HDMV/PGS, English
4: HDMV/PGS, English
5: HDMV/PGS, English

and then says...

Bitstream parsing for tracks 3-5 failed.

This has happened with every video I try to extract subtitles from after using MakeMKV to rip it off the disc. Has anyone had success with these subtitles? If so, let me know the process you used in order to extract them.
zeeke

Re: Demuxing PGS Subtitles

Post by zeeke »

I have the same problem, I can't demux the PGS files.

Another solution would be to get MediaPortal to somehow read them but that seems like a no-go..

If there is a way for Make MKV to demux the subs as .sup files and put them in the same directory as the mkv it would be a good in between solution.
Oldman

Post by Oldman »

As of August 2009 Mike_Admin has stated there is no known way to demux the PGS subtitles from an MKV container. He said they may release a command line tool to do so at some point in the future, but who knows.
zeeke

Post by zeeke »

well.. if there was a ways to actually play them from the Mkv that would be a nice work around :)
nadocrew

Post by nadocrew »

Is there any update on this topic? Can Blu Ray subtitles be demuxed from MKV?
1gkar

Post by 1gkar »

The simplest solution, which does involve an extra step; or two is:

1) demux using either TSMuxer or EAC3toGUI. there are others but I'm not familiar with them.

2) then, use BDSup2Sub or suprip. I am now finding it easier to use the former, especially for forced subs. You don't have to manually enter characters if they are not recognised: at least I haven't found that a requirement in the minimal times I have started using the app.

3) simply rename the generated *.idx/*.sub files to the same as the *.mkv file & most software players should recognise the subs with minimal tweaks.

I think a major reason is the way Sony have deliberately inserted crap PGS files in an attempt to make it difficult as possible for rippers to generate working subs' files. At least there are viable solutions to have subs recognised: just a bit extra effort :)
nadocrew

Post by nadocrew »

tsmuxer does not work for psg files. It says does "not recognized." Any other programs? I know how to change the format of the sup file, I just can't find a program that will demux the psg file from the MKV file.
1gkar

Post by 1gkar »

I am talking about dmuxing directly from the ripped Blu-ray. I use AnyDVDHD to rip to HDD, then demux with TSMuxer. I have only just found makeMKV app. If the programmer says it can't be done from the ripped *mkv, then I guess it can't. Don't know of any other way around it.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

The next version of MKVtoolnix will support demuxing PGS subtitles from MKV to SUP files. These files can be opened with suprip and converted to text subtitles. There are no changes in makemkv so all MKV files even produced with very old version of MakeMKV should work. More information will be posted shortly.
zeeke

Post by zeeke »

mike admin wrote:The next version of MKVtoolnix will support demuxing PGS subtitles from MKV to SUP files. These files can be opened with suprip and converted to text subtitles. There are no changes in makemkv so all MKV files even produced with very old version of MakeMKV should work. More information will be posted shortly.
awesome, looking forward to it!
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@zeeke

Hi!

No need to look forward to it, as it's already here ;>} Click on this link:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=808