FFWD/REW blocky

Everything related to MakeMKV
dandirk

FFWD/REW blocky

Post by dandirk »

ok not really a makemkv issue but my google attempts seem to not be hitting target.

I rip BD disks with MakeMKV...

I can play the movies just fine but...

Noticed that when I FFWD/REW at x4 or greater the image becomes really pixelated and blocky and its hard to see the video (to know where to stop).

I assume this may be a mkv thing but could be a codec playback thing to cause I don't see the issue come up much.

I have tried with CCCP codecs and zoomplayer/mpc with same results. Also this is happening with my linux XBMC setup.

Is this normal for bluray or is there a better codec to use? I am open to windows solutions if there are any?

Thanks
dandirk

Re: FFWD/REW blocky

Post by dandirk »

Well I think I have confirmed the the method in which MakeMkv converts blu ray to mkv is causing the macro blocks at high speed seek/FFW/REW.

At least when I use Zoomplayer and CCCP to play back the mkv (also XBMC linux distro)

I used ClownBD to demux and mkvmerge to mux them into MKV setting the fps to 24/1001.

The above method produced no blocks when fast forwarding at 8x.
dandirk

Re: FFWD/REW blocky

Post by dandirk »

Just wondering if ANYONE is seeing large square blocks/smears when fast forwarding/rewinding at x8+????????

I love makemkv's simplicity... though even with the latest version am having issues with smooth FFW/REW, or at least reduced macroblocks at higher speeds.

If I use ClownBD (eac3to essentially) to rip and mkvmerge to create a MKV, the results can handle these fast speeds without near as many blocks/smears.

At first I thought it had to due with issues in declaring FPS on the MKV container but I did some tests with EAC3TO/mkvmerge with and without setting FPS and it didn't really effect the FFWD/REW...

I have tried Zoomplayer, MPC-HD and XBMC. All reproduce the effect (or lack of) virtually the same.