Feature suggestion: multi-angle/versioning support?

Everything related to MakeMKV
JDub8

Feature suggestion: multi-angle/versioning support?

Post by JDub8 »

Basically when you rip an extended version of a movie theres usually a few extra minutes of content and as long as the BD authors were sane they didnt put two seperate copies of the movie on the disc they just linked to the extra content through BD structure wizardry (much the same as DVD wizardry though that was more straightforward). I understand this might be impossible to do on at least some discs, but it would be really, really cool to be able to rip an mkv that had both the theatrical and extended version in one file. Hopefully you just need to change to angle 2 or some obscure mkv option to view the extended version?

Again I know the BD structure is obtuse and shrouded but hopefully theres a way to auto detect the main and "alternate" title and create a mkv that mirrors that? Perhaps it could be done using rules per-disc?

I'll admit Id be happy with just being able to tell the difference between versions when a disc claims to have 10+ 25~GB titles of movie length. I'm sure its just subtitle tracks or something but dammit its confusing to look at. Maybe this would have the happy effect of sorting this behavior out as well?

Humbly - JDub.
mike admin

Re: Feature suggestion: multi-angle/versioning support?

Post by mike admin »

JDub8 wrote:I understand this might be impossible to do on at least some discs, but it would be really, really cool to be able to rip an mkv that had both the theatrical and extended version in one file.
For all practical purposes this is impossible with MKV container. In theory MKV specification allows one to can create a so-called multi-segment file with multiple sequences, but (almost) no software would play such file.
JDub8

Post by JDub8 »

Just wondering if your searches found this: http://mod16.org/hurfdurf/?p=8
austingrd

Post by austingrd »

For all practical purposes this is impossible with MKV container.
Thanks for confirming this. At least it will be transparent. Good thing though that we can still do something about it on a work around.
Mistakes are learning tools. Image