Help with DTS-HD

Everything related to MakeMKV
cipher

Help with DTS-HD

Post by cipher »

I've just started using MakeMKV and I'm attempting to create MKV's of my Breaking Bad Blu-Rays. I'm interested in the highest quality transfer so I'm selecting the lossless DTS-HD audio tracks. Unfortunately, when I play a resulting file on my Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player (both via USB flash drive and networked DLNA) I do not see an option for DTS-HD audio as the only audio tracks that are available are:

1) English DTS 5.1
2) English DTS

Also, if I open the MKV file in VLC player, I see the following info for the main audio track:

Type: Audio
Codec: DTS Audio (dts)
Language: English
Channels: 3F2R/LFE
Bitrate: 1536 kb/s

After reading the FAQ at the MakeMKV website, I downloaded and installed the latest version of Arcsoft TMT, and copied the dtsdecoderdll.dll into the MakeMKV folder. I added the reference to this file in the Advanced tab, but after ripping the disc again it resulted in a file with the same audio settings.

Any idea what I'm missing here?

Thank you
Romansh

Re: Help with DTS-HD

Post by Romansh »

VLC can only decode the DTS core. As for the Oppo, it probably detects DTS-HD as DTS because in the Matroska container, they share the same codec ID.

What does your receiver say about the audio?
Navvie

Post by Navvie »

What does MediaInfo say about your file?
Linux / Windows 10
Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK x2
Asus BC-12D2HT 3.11MK
LG BH16NS40 flashed to WH16NS60 1.03
LG GGC-H20L 1.03
Pioneer BDR-205 GENE
cipher

Post by cipher »

Thanks for the replies. I think I've figured it out based on the following:

1) I reopened the MKV file in makemkv and the audio track is being described as Codec: DTS-HD
2) I opened the MKV file in Handbrake and the audio track is being described as Source: DTS-HD MA.
3) I opened the MKV file in Mediainfo and the audio track is being described as Format: DTS, Format Profile: MA/Core, CodecID: A_DTS, Bitrate: 1509kbps
4) I opened the MKV file in mkinfo and the audio track is being described as Format: DTS, Format Profile: MA/Core, CodecID: A_DTS

Unfortunately, I can't verify with my receiver right now as I'm currently using and old one since we are renovating the living room in our home and my main equipment is in storage. However, given the large bitrate and the descriptions seen in makemkv and Handbrake I'm going to assume that this is in fact a DTS-HD track. I'm going to guess that some programs (vlc, mkinfo) do not, or cannot, accurately describe the audio track as DTS-HD when reading this type of audio. I'll confirm for good once my regular receiver is connected again.

Interestingly, I believe both files that I created (one with dtsdecoderdll.dll reference and one without) created the exact same audio track. Maybe the current version of makemkv (1.85) doesn't need a reference to the DTS decoder dll?
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

The DLL is only needed if you want to decode DTS-HD and re-encode it to another format (such as FLAC).