What is the price of MKV?

Everything related to MakeMKV
GameKing

What is the price of MKV?

Post by GameKing »

The MakeMKV web site does not show their price on their website.
Their payment agent, Avongate, shows only the Canadian pricing (for those of us in Canada).
The price looks outrageously high, so I would like to know what US customers have been paying, please.
crowfax

Re: What is the price of MKV?

Post by crowfax »

The price inside the US is $50 + local taxes. Avangate charge extra outside of the US to cover the cost of conversion fee's, as well as local tax laws as they get charged tax twice (once at time of sale, then again after transferring their cash back to the US).

There is nothing the developer can do about that, that's simply how Avangate do business.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
GameKing

Post by GameKing »

crowfax wrote:The price inside the US is $50 + local taxes. Avangate charge extra outside of the US to cover the cost of conversion fee's, as well as local tax laws as they get charged tax twice (once at time of sale, then again after transferring their cash back to the US).

There is nothing the developer can do about that, that's simply how Avangate do business.
What you say might make sense, but I have been ordering from the US for MANY years, and somehow these other sites don't need such a huge premium.

1. The US price is $50
2. At today's exchange rate that equals C$ 52.94
3. There are no taxes when selling out of State, much less out of country.
4. Banks usually charge 2 - 3% on top of the official exchange rate--however, many US sellers simply sell at the official rate!
5. Avongate is charging $72.91 -- there's about $20 of unexplained premium in their pricing.

Further, Avongate is the first site (and I mean first among dozens of US sellers) I have visited that doesn't have a drop down menu allowing customers to select payment in a different currency. If they did that, my credit card company would simply add exchange, plus 2-1/2% on my bill. That amounts to C$54.27 -- NOT C$72.91
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Conveniently, this has been discussed numerous times before.

It is what it is, and it's not going to change.

SC
goingbust

Post by goingbust »

Smithcraft wrote:Conveniently, this has been discussed numerous times before.

It is what it is, and it's not going to change.

SC
I think the OP's line of questioning is how much it costs all in with taxes and fees that I never paid using third party vendors that are getting a cut. Not the eternal bitching that $50 is too high for the product itself.

I bought this product. It's a great product and I never questioned my choice in buying it. It has not failed once on many hundreds of disks.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

GameKing wrote:The price looks outrageously high, so I would like to know what US customers have been paying, please.
Goingbust, this question, which is a part of the eternal bitching, has been discussed many times.

SC
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I think it's priced just right, it's way too high for a casual purchase, but not high enough that every time Admin is a little late with the new beta key I don't consider 'hmm, maybe I'll just buy it' and I know, eventually, I'll cave. It's a BRILLIANT marketing strategy!!!!