Blu-Ray - No Dolby Digital Option?

Everything related to MakeMKV
dja1980

Blu-Ray - No Dolby Digital Option?

Post by dja1980 »

I'm just getting with my feet wet with MakeMKV, and learning as I go.

I've ripped in several DVDs and Blu-Rays (mostly animated so far for the kids), and one thing I've noticed on the BDs is that most of them don't have an option for Dolby Digital... only DTS. The cases for both my DVDs and BDs show audio available in DD and DTS for both, but I only get the DD option with DVDs and DTS option for BDs (English)?

Why does MakeMKV not give me the DD option for BDs when the disc advertises on the case that it should be available?
Rydsen

Re: Blu-Ray - No Dolby Digital Option?

Post by Rydsen »

What specific DVD and BD title(s) are you trying to rip? Some only have DTS options on the BD while the same movie will offer only DD on the DVD release.
dja1980

Post by dja1980 »

So far, the Blu-Rays I've ripped in are...

Brave
Despicable Me
Despicable Me 2
The Lion King
Tangled
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Up
We Bought a Zoo

Of those, the only English option for Brave is Dolby Digital 5.1, and We Bought a Zoo offers English in both Dolby Digital 5.1 AND DTS 5.1. The English options for the others are only DTS... even though they play as Dolby Digital 5.1 when I use the disc in my home theater system.

Not that it's a huge deal, but I'm just confused as to why the disc plays as DD, and MakeMKV only gives the DTS option for most of these.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Most likely, something in your Home Theater setup is converting the DTS track to Dolby Digital.

For example: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Toy-Story-Blu-ray/6641/ (no English DD track)

Many Blu-rays don't have any Dolby Digital audio.
dja1980

Post by dja1980 »

Wow... I didn't know that... makes sense though.

Ok, that makes me feel better... I thought I might be doing something wrong!