Blu-ray Chapter section

Everything related to MakeMKV
megalodon

Blu-ray Chapter section

Post by megalodon »

Im converting an ISO of a TV series that is in Blu-ray format. Im ripping it using Make MKV one chapter at a time, What I need to know is obviously I start at chapter 1, I know there is no guarantee that they are in order because of the java but if I deselect all the other chapters it still leaves the english subtitles and audio boxes ticked on the chapters I have deselected. Will it add these audio formats and subtitles into the MKV container for chapter 1 as well or will it disregard them because the chapter box is not ticked. Up until now I have presumed that because I have deselected the chapter boxes on say the other 4 chapters, that it will ignore the corresponding subtitles boxes and audio boxes that are ticked inside these unwanted chapters. I know Make MKV used to automatically deselect everything under the chapter box that you un-ticked, but it doesn't seem to do that anymore it still leaves the best quality audio format and Uk subtitles ticked.

Thanks
Woodstock

Re: Blu-ray Chapter section

Post by Woodstock »

Do you mean one TITLE at a time, or one CHAPTER?

I don't remember MakeMKV having the option to select individual chapters within a title...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
megalodon

Post by megalodon »

Woodstock wrote:Do you mean one TITLE at a time, or one CHAPTER?

I don't remember MakeMKV having the option to select individual chapters within a title...
Yes one Title at a time, sorry.
PaulCB

Post by PaulCB »

megalodon wrote:Im converting an ISO of a TV series that is in Blu-ray format. Im ripping it using Make MKV one chapter at a time, What I need to know is obviously I start at chapter 1, I know there is no guarantee that they are in order because of the java but if I deselect all the other chapters it still leaves the english subtitles and audio boxes ticked on the chapters I have deselected. Will it add these audio formats and subtitles into the MKV container for chapter 1 as well or will it disregard them because the chapter box is not ticked. Up until now I have presumed that because I have deselected the chapter boxes on say the other 4 chapters, that it will ignore the corresponding subtitles boxes and audio boxes that are ticked inside these unwanted chapters. I know Make MKV used to automatically deselect everything under the chapter box that you un-ticked, but it doesn't seem to do that anymore it still leaves the best quality audio format and Uk subtitles ticked.

Thanks
It won't rip anything from under a title that isn't selected. My first step is always to unselect everything at the top level then I just work on the one, main movie, title I want. Things remain checked under the unselected titles but nothing will be pulled.

For TV, I've not run into any that weren't in order for the few that I own. But what I did is to play the disc and look at the run times of each episode as they also varied by at least a few seconds and I could use that to verify which was which and fill in the right episode title vs. doing it after. Though even if you aren't sure which is which, I'm not sure why you wouldn't select all of the episodes on a disc to rip them in the same go.
megalodon

Post by megalodon »

Thanks for that paul, as long as I know the rest of the audio and subtitles under the unselected titles won't be pulled thats saving me a lot of time. I normally find DVD TV shows are in order but I check the title in VLC by playing the episode and checking the title it is playing just to be sure. Blu-rays can be different but like DVD's they are not normally, except for films. So your saying if I select all the chapters on a TV show it will rip them as separate MKV files. I didn't realise that, I will give it a try.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

There are a number of BDs out there where MakeMKV will present the titles out of order in the menu. You can check that by looking at the file names associated with each title - if the number ascend, they're in the right order; if not, find the lowest number with the right length, and that's the first episode on the disk (usually!), next lowest is the second, etc. Several Funimation disks I've recently ripped displayed in MakeMKV as episodes 6,5,4,3,2,1,8,7,9.

Mike says this is because the files themselves are out of order on the disk, and MakeMKV lists them in the order they were encountered.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
megalodon

Post by megalodon »

Woodstock wrote:There are a number of BDs out there where MakeMKV will present the titles out of order in the menu. You can check that by looking at the file names associated with each title - if the number ascend, they're in the right order; if not, find the lowest number with the right length, and that's the first episode on the disk (usually!), next lowest is the second, etc. Several Funimation disks I've recently ripped displayed in MakeMKV as episodes 6,5,4,3,2,1,8,7,9.

Mike says this is because the files themselves are out of order on the disk, and MakeMKV lists them in the order they were encountered.
Very useful information, thanks for that.