Missing subtitles

Everything related to MakeMKV
Dietmar.Harms

Missing subtitles

Post by Dietmar.Harms »

I am using MakeMKV 1.8.9 for Mac. I've been using German subtitles for a long time. Since some months the selected subtitles can be selected in the MKV-player-app, but no subtitles do appear. If I for example select German and English subtitles, both in 2 versions, I have 4 elements in the popup menu for selecting subtitles, but independantly of which subtitle I select no subtitles appear on the screen at all. What may I be doing wrong?

Best, Dietmar
Woodstock

Re: Missing subtitles

Post by Woodstock »

Are you working with Bluray disk as the source? If so, is your player compatible with PGS subtitles in an MKV container?

BD uses a different format for subtitles than DVD. Not all players support this format, and some that do have problems when PGS is found in an MKV file. VLC is known to support it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Dietmar.Harms

Post by Dietmar.Harms »

Woodstock wrote:Are you working with Bluray disk as the source? If so, is your player compatible with PGS subtitles in an MKV container?

BD uses a different format for subtitles than DVD. Not all players support this format, and some that do have problems when PGS is found in an MKV file. VLC is known to support it.
Yes, I am working with BluRay disks as source, and I suppose you are right. My Player manual says it (LaCie LaCinema Mini HD Connect) supports the following subtitle formats:
? SRT, ? SSA, ? SUB, ? SMI, ? PSB, ? ASS

So I suppose I need a new Player ... can someone recommend a player which can:
- display PGS subtitles
- play MKVs from a hard disk
- can be used to surf in the internet

The reason for my third point is that I am using Amazon Instant Video to stream movies. But every time I want to see a movie this way I have to disconnect my Laptop in my working room (from 30" monitor, USB/Thunderbolt devices etc.), carry it to the living room, connect it to TV, attach a mouse (for controlling during play), connect it to audio system ... this is annoying. I would like to buy a "player" or kind of box which can be connected to the internet for surfing and watching videos.

Best, Dietmar
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Several players can do what you're looking for. Most popular seems to be the WD TV Live, but there are others. I'm using the MICCA EP600, which does not have an internal drive, but does have provisions to connect it to a SATA drive, as well as USB ports.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

You can't surf the net on the WDTV (the hidden browser is limited), only use the services which are installed.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Dietmar.Harms

Post by Dietmar.Harms »

The only players which are certified by Amazon to play back their "Instant Video" (streaming) are:

Sony SMP-N100 and SMP-N200
<http://www.amazon.de/gp/video/ontv/devices/>

I downloaded the manual of both but couldn't quite check the difference between them, and cound't find whether they will play the subtitles stored as PGS.

Does anybody know these players? Can they be recommended? Can they play PGS subtitles?

Best, Dietmar