little problems with the Hobbit blu-ray

Everything related to MakeMKV
BigMat

little problems with the Hobbit blu-ray

Post by BigMat »

hi there,

I have created 2 ISO files of the The Hobbit, the desolation of Smaug 3D Blu-rays (2 disks)

In MakeMKV, each ISO has a “Mpeg4-MVC-3D” video stream
for disk 1, the movie is stored in file 00006.m2ts
for disk 2, the movie is stored in file 00006.m2ts
After I created the 2 MKV files (one for each disk) I opened them with MediaInfo
in the report, it didn’t recognise the 3D video.
Normally, when I open a 3D TS, M2TS or MKV file with MediaInfo, I see this info:
Multiview Count = 2
This is the first time I don’t see this information at all a 3D video file. Now I see:
Video
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Codec ID : 27
Duration : 1h 26mn
Bit rate mode : Variable
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive

I didn't use any expert mode to create the MKV, I just opened the ISO, un-checked the audio/subtitles I don't want. Since I currently have no mean to test 3D MKV, I'm not sure if this will be a problem. Any thoughts?

Another problem I have is that the 2 MKV have different average bitrate. When I merge the 2 MKV files with MKV merge, I get a warning.
Since the 2 video streams are encoded with variable bit rates, I would assume that the average bitrate has to be different. I played the merged MKV with VLC and jump to different points in time and I didn’t notice any problem with playback. Can I safely assume that this warning is not a problem at all?

thanks for your valuable inputs.

Mat.
ndjamena

Re: little problems with the Hobbit blu-ray

Post by ndjamena »

The warning most likely had to do with the 'Codec Private Data', no? As long as you're ok with how it's playing then everything is fine!
PaulCB

Post by PaulCB »

I fell like your subject is some sort of discriminatory comment on hobbits.. ;)

Nothing plays 3D mkv's so nothing to worry about there yet. As for the rest, as Big Mat notes, if it works, it works. I would let it play normally through the transition/join point in your player of choice as it may skip around fine but if there is an issue it would manifest itself there.
BigMat

Post by BigMat »

thanks, i'll do some testing later.
BigMat

Post by BigMat »

Hi,

I finally nailed it down!
I'm not sure what I've done wrong but the the movie never played in 3D. So MediaInfo was right not to show the multiview count info.
I decided to start from scratch:
create an MKV from disk 1
create an MKV from disk 2 (witch exact same audio track and subtitle track as disk 1)

=> this time, I decided not to change the audio track or subtitle track name, priority, default flag). Maybe that was my mistake the first time.

Then I merge the 2 MKV with MKVMerge, and also changed the track name/default flag/Forced flag. the file size is also about 20GB bigger!

And this time magic! MediaInfo recognized the multiview count!!!

I tested the MKV and it's all good, 3D is superb, subtitle works fine and the transition from the original MKV1 and MKV2 is transparent (video, audio and subtitle)

Mat.
docchris

Post by docchris »

PaulCB wrote:Nothing plays 3D mkv's so nothing to worry about there yet.
you mean apart from Stereoscopic player, which I've just finished watching the Hobbit Desolation of Smaug 3D MKVs on?
BigMat

Post by BigMat »

Maybe PaulCB wasn't aware of it.
But yes, that's also the software I use to watch 3D MKV.
Works like a charm but I only watched about 10-12 movies (all AVC 3D from blu-ray rips)
docchris

Post by docchris »

I actually have an "interesting" problem with both the hobbit movies.

The 3D is back to front

If I playback the MVC MKV using stereoscopic player, I have to tell it to reverse the eyes (compared with every other bluray rip I've tried)

if I convert the MKV back to an ISO and mount it and play it back with PowerDVD , using full HDMI 1.4 3D playback (so no side by side or other silliness) the eyes are also reversed, and back its playing back full frames of 3D, powerdvd doenst give you the option to reverse ht eyes (and neither does my LG tv) so the only way to see the 3D correctly is to wear the 3D glasses upside down (so the eyes are the wrong way around).

I have no idea about the MKV / MVC decides which stream belongs to which eye, but I have to imagine its something in the MakeMKV stage, as the full retail bluray cant have it back to front and surely must playback correctly in powerdvd? (I not longer have it to test)

any thoughts/suggestions?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

docchris wrote:The 3D is back to front

If I playback the MVC MKV using stereoscopic player, I have to tell it to reverse the eyes (compared with every other bluray rip I've tried)

if I convert the MKV back to an ISO and mount it and play it back with PowerDVD , using full HDMI 1.4 3D playback (so no side by side or other silliness) the eyes are also reversed, and back its playing back full frames of 3D, powerdvd doenst give you the option to reverse ht eyes (and neither does my LG tv) so the only way to see the 3D correctly is to wear the 3D glasses upside down (so the eyes are the wrong way around).

I have no idea about the MKV / MVC decides which stream belongs to which eye, but I have to imagine its something in the MakeMKV stage, as the full retail bluray cant have it back to front and surely must playback correctly in powerdvd? (I not longer have it to test)
This is bizzare. MakeMKV actually doesn't even parse the file on this level. All it does - it puts MVC data into MKV file. It doesn't even know how many views are in the file and how they are encoded. Apparently there is some setting on container level that tells the player to swap the eye data.

Can you please post the mediainfo output for produced MKV file?
docchris

Post by docchris »

Hi,

Here's the mediainfo data (below).

The left/right eye swap is the same for BOTH hobbit movies (last years and this years), but every other 3D movie i've ripped works fine (and i've got over 100!)

Thanks

Chris

General
Unique ID : 297407414923402676236033579737193117528 (0xDFBE95A8E508B0A4E2E6C8BECBBBF758)
Complete name : C:\Users\admin\Desktop\The_Hobbit_The_Desolation_of_Smaug_Part_1_t00.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 2
File size : 21.9 GiB
Duration : 1h 15mn
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 41.7 Mbps
Movie name : The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Part 1
Encoded date : UTC 2014-05-19 11:18:33
Writing application : MakeMKV v1.8.10 win(x64-release)
Writing library : libmakemkv v1.8.10 (1.3.0/1.4.1) win(x64-release)

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Stereo High@L4.1 / High@L4.1
MultiView_Count : 2
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Language : English
Default : No
Forced : No

Audio
ID : 2
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Format profile : MA / Core
Mode : 16
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_DTS
Bit rate : Unknown / 1 509 Kbps
Channel(s) : 8 channels / 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE / Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossless / Lossy
Title : Surround 7.1
Default : Yes

Text
ID : 3
Format : PGS
Codec ID : S_HDMV/PGS
Codec ID/Info : The same subtitle format used on BDs/HD-DVDs
Default : Yes

Menu
00:00:00.000 : en:Chapter 01
00:05:44.093 : en:Chapter 02
00:10:10.943 : en:Chapter 03
00:11:10.086 : en:Chapter 04
00:13:50.204 : en:Chapter 05
00:17:12.614 : en:Chapter 06
00:21:25.284 : en:Chapter 07
00:24:33.472 : en:Chapter 08
00:33:03.272 : en:Chapter 09
00:36:05.705 : en:Chapter 10
00:39:38.918 : en:Chapter 11
00:41:29.612 : en:Chapter 12
00:44:27.247 : en:Chapter 13
00:55:01.715 : en:Chapter 14
00:58:41.726 : en:Chapter 15
01:02:05.096 : en:Chapter 16
01:05:29.550 : en:Chapter 17
01:09:06.225 : en:Chapter 18
01:11:29.076 : en:Chapter 19
01:13:11.720 : en:Chapter 20
docchris

Post by docchris »

There is a discussion here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168539&page=56

where its noted in one of the posts that for some 20th Century Fox blurays, the "base" is the right eye

im not sure if there is a way to specify this in the MKV itself? This is a discussion for tsmuxer when its generating the ISO, you can set that flag, so i guess MakeMKV would need to 1) read that flag and 2) somehow specify that in the MKV, but i have no idea if either of those are possible?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

docchris wrote:http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168539&page=56 where its noted in one of the posts that for some 20th Century Fox blurays, the "base" is the right eye
im not sure if there is a way to specify this in the MKV itself? This is a discussion for tsmuxer when its generating the ISO, you can set that flag, so i guess MakeMKV would need to 1) read that flag and 2) somehow specify that in the MKV, but i have no idea if either of those are possible?
Thanks for bringing that up. I had no idea that this flag existed. The information is apparently stored in MPLS file and is presently ignored by MakeMKV. As you suspect, there is no place presently to store such flag in MKV file. We'll have to work with Stereoscopic player author to define the standard.
docchris

Post by docchris »

Hi Mike,

I'm just glad it wasn't something i missed/had done wrong!

As ever, your hard work is very much appreciated by all of us who find your program invaluable! (i've got 120TB of storage so you can imagine how much use i get out of MakeMKV!)

Since I imagine that not many users of the forum/MakeMKV itself store full 3D bluray rips, or have a Sterescopic player license and output 3D over HDMI 1.4 (rather than SBS which many people find easier given current hardware limitations), please do let me know if you need any help testing any future version of MakeMKV or Sterescopic player for compatibility with "use base for right eye" blurays/MKVs.

Cheers

Chris
buribu

Post by buribu »

Hi Mike,

I have the same "back to front"-issue like docchris, with the Hobbit-Bluray ripped by makemkv, but I don't use stereoscopic player for playback but the hardwareplayer MEDE8ER MED600X3D.
When viewing the Hobbit in 3D you get headache. But the MED600X3D has an option to swap left and right side. And yes, if I swap sides, the 3D-effect is as expected.

So, if you think about a new flag in your creation of mkv-files, can you please also talk to the Mede8er-people for knowing and reading the new flag.

Many Thanks

Stephan
pumple

Post by pumple »

Hey, has anyone managed to merge the two MKV files? I would like to have them in one file.
MKV merge reports a failure stating that the two video streams are not the same type.