3D ripping support

Everything related to MakeMKV
patseguin

3D ripping support

Post by patseguin »

I've been Googling this but I can't find an answer. I prefer MakeMKV over DVDFab as the quality is better. However, I need to be able to rip 3D MKV's which are viewable in XBMC. Does MakeMKV do this?
Chetwood

Re: 3D ripping support

Post by Chetwood »

Better how?
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
SiliconKid

Re: 3D ripping support

Post by SiliconKid »

@patseguin:

1. The quality of a rip via DVDFab and MakeMKV should be identical unless you are doing some kind of re-encode after the rip in DVDFab. But if you are just ripping in each app then you are not changing the quality of the source in either case, so the end result should be identical.

2. MakeMKV is capable of ripping 3D Blu-Rays and will produce a special kind of MKV called an MVC MKV that basically has 2 video streams in it.

The current problem is that very few things can play those 3D MKV files. XBMC will NOT play them currently.

The last time I checked, only a Mede8er media player (physical device) will play them or an app named Stereoscopic Player, which works, but doesn't have the best UI.

Everybody is waiting for the various software producers and library devs to improve support for MVC MKV.

An MVC MKV is the best quality 3D rip you can produce because once again you are not re-encoding the video, only changing the container that it's in.

Unfortunately MVC MKV is also currently the least and worst supported 3D format and that's why SBS and OU are far more popular at present.