Output Size

Everything related to MakeMKV
clotje

Output Size

Post by clotje »

Hi,

Nice software you made here, it very fast and correct.
But can you made in the next release, that we can choose the output size? Like VBR or CQ

Thanks,
Clotje
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Hello.

MakeMKV does not change audio/video data during conversion at all. Therefore it is impossible to change output size since it is determined by input size. However it is always possible to re-encode MKV with different parameters and there are many free tools to do just that.
estugarda

Post by estugarda »

Which software can re-encode (let's say compress to h264 or xvid) MKV file made with MakeMKV?
DaOptika

Post by DaOptika »

That would be MeGUI together with many other tools - and that would be hell of a lot more work to do and would take you about 20h/movie depending on your system.
estugarda

Post by estugarda »

MeGUI needs avisynt (avs) file. That means it needs a DVD to. I asked how can one reencode already encoded MKV. I want exactly the same structure of MKV file like one made with MakeMKV, only with compressed video instead of MPEG2.
sallermas

Post by sallermas »

AutoMKV is what you need, readily availble for download.
estugarda

Post by estugarda »

Unfortunately AutoMKV acts on all my computers like on big bug. Crashing and breaking up all the time from various reasons. Sometimes without any notification. Ususally it gives that bumbing sound and doesn't even start to reencode. Also, accordcing to the menus, it supports only up to 2 audio tracks. This is not a working solution for my case. Still on the search.
Homer

Re:

Post by Homer »

mike admin wrote: MakeMKV does not change audio/video data during conversion at all. Therefore it is impossible to change output size since it is determined by input size. However it is always possible to re-encode MKV with different parameters and there are many free tools to do just that.
will it be a part of the program in the future ? or is there a technical reason why it may not ?
it would be great if we could make some of the 10+gb files smaller, maybe to fit on a dvd-9 disc ?? (i understand that this means some quality loss)
thanks,
§ Pimp of Mario's World.. Hater of Society. §