Maybe an unanswerable question but...

Everything related to MakeMKV
tenjuna

Maybe an unanswerable question but...

Post by tenjuna »

I have been using MakeMKV and Handbrake to convert my Blu-Rays for Plex use for a few months now, and up until installing the latest MKV things have been working beautifully.

Though I am using the same setting in Handbrake as I always have (High Profile, quality of 18, nothing else changed), now it takes 3 times as long (about 6 hours to convert a 2 hour movie), and there is NO size difference at all from the original MKV that MakeMKV produced. Literally the only change is I installed the latest MakeMKV and put in the new beta key.

I have tried this on 3 different computers and I get the same result. I update MakeMKV, I put in the new key, then it takes a lot longer to convert and the size is pretty much the same.

Any idea at all as to what might have changed in MakeMKV to make this happen? I would be happy to test with the old version if I could get an updated key to work on it.

If I am missing something basic I will be happy to wear the dunce hat, but right now I am stumped.

Thanks

Cain
trumpet205

Re: Maybe an unanswerable question but...

Post by trumpet205 »

Encoding time should have nothing to do with MakeMKV, but rather the type of video you are trying to encode.

For example, a grainy film will take considerably longer time to encode than a modern film as encoder takes longer time to find similarities between each frame.

What you should've done is take a film you once encoded with and re-rip them + re-encode them then compare. Remember, MakeMKV is a ripper. It merely copies what's on the disc and no more.

PS. Depending on the type of video it is definitely possible to see re-encoded file being the same or larger than the source.
tenjuna

Post by tenjuna »

yes I agree, it *shouldn't* make a difference, however I need to reiterate that before upgrading MakeMKV, I was having none of these issues, at all. Now I have this problem with 3 different machines using the *same* Blu-Ray discs that worked fine yesterday. Again, the only thing different in the chain is the new version of MakeMKV.

I was hoping it was something simple, but it seems that somehow MakeMKV is putting out files that can't be reduced any further using Handbrake, which makes no sense at all. What changed?
trumpet205

Post by trumpet205 »

Alright, what Blu-ray movie is that? And re-install old MakeMKV and do a comparsion.

And I already mentioned this in my previous post, it is perfectly possible to run into a video where re-encoded file is larger than source. This happens a lot with overly compressed Blu-ray where studio were very aggressive with the compression. When you re-encode a video it is first decoded into uncompressed video where it is at least 10x larger. The uncompressed video is then re-compressed. CRF 18 is a high quality parameter, not an aggressive one.

To give you something to play with, take a video which you encoded with CRF 18 and re-encode them into CRF 5. I assure you the result file will be larger.
tenjuna

Post by tenjuna »

I think you are missing the point. I encoded 4 discs on Saturday, and after upgrading MakeMKV and finding the problem I encoded the same discs...using the same settings I have always used on 3 different computers, the encoding now takes 6 hours rather than 2, and the files are 16GB rather than 4GB. The only thing different is the new MakeMKV version.

I will just find a new encoder since this one is broken (for me), thanks for the reply though I appreciate it.