Makemkv and H.265

Everything related to MakeMKV
Giar02

Makemkv and H.265

Post by Giar02 »

Hello

I'm a new user of makemkv, and I'd like to know some more the program.

Does makemkv use h.264 codec for ripping lossless a blu-ray?

And about the new codec H.265, can be used in makemkv in order to reduce the dimension of output file, always maintaining the lossless quality?

Be patient, maybe my questions are stupid.....

Thanks
Andrea
ndjamena

Re: Makemkv and H.265

Post by ndjamena »

MakeMKV DOES NOT REENCODE VIDEO AT ALL. It transfers exactly what it finds on the discs into an MKV with no alteration. DVDs contain mpeg2 so any file MakeMKV creates from a DVD will also contain mpeg2, Blu Rays can contain either mpeg2, h.264 or VC-1 and MakeMKV will transfer exact copies of those streams into an MKV in their respective codecs. If you want to make smaller files from the files MakeMKV produces you'll have to use other programs such as handbrake to convert them.

Audio is a different matter... audio encoding is a relatively recent addition to the MakeMKV feature set.
PaulCB

Re: Makemkv and H.265

Post by PaulCB »

Giar02 wrote:Hello

I'm a new user of makemkv, and I'd like to know some more the program.

Does makemkv use h.264 codec for ripping lossless a blu-ray?

And about the new codec H.265, can be used in makemkv in order to reduce the dimension of output file, always maintaining the lossless quality?

Be patient, maybe my questions are stupid.....

Thanks
Andrea
To add to Ndjamena's comments that re-encoding isn't what makemkv is about:
"can be used in makemkv in order to reduce the dimension of output file, always maintaining the lossless quality" No application can do this as you cannot change the video file with a lossy codec and have it be lossless. You can maintain 'good quality' but you still reduce it. If you want to reduce a file size for some reason (I would never recommend wasting time with such things), you need to use something like Handbrake.