List of BluRay with forced subtitles

Everything related to MakeMKV
nfazz

List of BluRay with forced subtitles

Post by nfazz »

Hi everyone. I want to say thanks to the developers of makemkv for creating such a useful tool.

Since I have researched this and there seems to be no way to detect the presence of forced subtitles in a movie, for the benefit of the whole community, I thought it would be useful to start a list of BluRay movies that contain forced subtitles. It's really embarrassing to have your friends or family over to watch a movie, get halfway through it, only to find that part of the dialog is in another language and there's no way to get the subtitles for the missing dialog. If we start a list of these titles, we can check it and make sure we obtain the proper subs ahead of time.

Also, if anyone is able to post a method for ripping forced subtitles, that would be greatly appreciated. As far as I can tell at this point, there is no way to do this in linux. It may be possible in Windows, but appears very cumbersome. It looks like an upcoming version of mkvextract will at least let us extract the subtitle files in linux, but I'm not sure it's possible to convert them to a format that most linux players (in my case the MythTV internal player) can handle. Furthermore, it's not clear whether this would be able to discriminate forced from regular subtitles. So basically, the whole subtitle issue is a mess right now.

I'll start it off:
Angels and Demons
nadocrew

Re: List of BluRay with forced subtitles

Post by nadocrew »

I think a list would be a good idea. I was having trouble with this issue as well.
Here are a few more:

iron man
district 9
apocalypto
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

Seven Pounds
ch0riz0

Post by ch0riz0 »

Funny People (Dinner table scene, the father and daughters spoke Mandarin)
dandirk

Post by dandirk »

Don't Mess with the Zohan - very limited forced subs, essentially when ever he uses his spy goggles.
nfazz

Post by nfazz »

Gran Torino - The subs are not forced, but there's actually a separate track (track 6) with just the foreign language sections.

I can confirm that the new mkvtoolnix version extracts the sup files perfectly. I then run them thru SupRip to get the .srt files. Or, you can use BDSup2Sub to get VOBSUB type graphical subs if your player supports that (mine doesn't). Is it okay to post subtitle files on this board? If so, I will post the Angels and Demons and Gran Torino srt files as attachments for everyone's benefit. If it violates the policy of this board, of course I won't post them.

Nick
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@nfazz

Hi!
Is it okay to post subtitle files on this board?

Of course "Mike" has the final word but, I'd suggest that it would be inappropriate, as such files are either part of a copyrighted work (DVD or BluRay) or transcriptions of part of a copyrighted work (movie script)...
nfazz

Post by nfazz »

I figured that was the case, but I thought I'd ask. They're fairly easy to extract and convert anyway, so it's not a big deal. Thanks to everyone so far for contributing to the list! It has saved me some frustration already and hopefully others have benefitted as well.

Nick
trondmm

Post by trondmm »

nfazz wrote:It's really embarrassing to have your friends or family over to watch a movie, get halfway through it, only to find that part of the dialog is in another language and there's no way to get the subtitles for the missing dialog.
This is why I always rip with subs, even if I think I won't need them.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Starting with version 1.4.12 you may select to keep only forced subtitles byselecting only a corresponding sub-stream.
nadocrew

Post by nadocrew »

Mike this is a good update to the program. The only problem I have is that there is no way to tell if there are forced subtitles. It has the "only forced" option for all subtitle tracks. It would be great if it had some indication that there are forced flags in the .sup file.
This is a great program. Keep up the good work.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

nadocrew wrote:The only problem I have is that there is no way to tell if there are forced subtitles. It has the "only forced" option for all subtitle tracks. It would be great if it had some indication that there are forced flags in the .sup file.
Yeah, it would be great if authors of blu-ray format thought about it but they didn't. The forced flag is encoded with picture header so if you have an hour-long movie and only last subtitle is forced there is no way to tell until you read from disc 60 minutes of video.
nadocrew

Post by nadocrew »

I think there has to be another way of doing it. BDsup2sub is able to see if .sup has forced flags even without the video. Could makemkv analyze the PGS subtitles before it encodes?
I have no experience with this so I could be completely wrong.
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

mike admin wrote: Yeah, it would be great if authors of blu-ray format thought about it but they didn't. The forced flag is encoded with picture header so if you have an hour-long movie and only last subtitle is forced there is no way to tell until you read from disc 60 minutes of video.
Ah, that answers my question. I did a rip and only checked the forced subtitles and it showed no stream at all. Then I did a rip with the whole stream checked as well. After resizing to 720x480 ifo/sup I loaded into DVDSubEdit and checked "only show forced subs" and got nothing!! I spent a long time looking for something that wasn't there!! heh heh

Also I noticed with VLC media player in another flick that there was nothing in the subtitle menu about a subtitle track until I kept seeking around in the movie and got to a point where there was dialog. Then they popped up in the menu. These PGS subs must be really hit and miss! What a pain!!
nfazz

Post by nfazz »

I just ripped "Funny People" and I think we can remove it from the list. There are no forced subs. During the table scene when they are speaking mandarin, the English subs say "SPEAKING MANDARIN".

Please try and only post if you've actually verified that there are forced subs. I may summarize what we've got into a new thread since this one has been hijacked.

Thanks. :)