New to Makemvk and have a few questions...

Everything related to MakeMKV
HTPC23

New to Makemvk and have a few questions...

Post by HTPC23 »

So I am new to Makemkv and just had a few questions...

I currently use MediaBrowser Theatre to watch my media collection and have been using AnyDVD to rip my Blu-Rays to digital format on my home server. I was using just the standard Blu-Ray format where I would have lets say the movie 'GLADIATOR' and within that folder I would have a BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders. I have noticed when playing those movies back that the right 'track' is not playing and sometime subtitles would not work.'

Someone turned me on to Makemkv which seem to let me pick which track I want to rip. My questions are as follows...
1) Do I lose any video quality with Makemkv over what I am currently doing?
2) Do I lose any audio quality with Makemkv over what I am currently doing?
3) Should I continue to use AnyDVD to rip the Blu-Ray and then use Makemkv or just start with Makemkv at the beginning?

Thanks for any help/guidance/assistance and I am sure I will have more questions to follow.
matt198t

Re: New to Makemvk and have a few questions...

Post by matt198t »

HTPC23 wrote:
Someone turned me on to Makemkv which seem to let me pick which track I want to rip. My questions are as follows...
1) Do I lose any video quality with Makemkv over what I am currently doing? video will be exactly the same as what's on the disc
2) Do I lose any audio quality with Makemkv over what I am currently doing? audio will be exactly the same as what's on the disc
3) Should I continue to use AnyDVD to rip the Blu-Ray and then use Makemkv or just start with Makemkv at the beginning?
use makemkv solely. the best program in the business imo
KiltedShane

Post by KiltedShane »

I've been using MakeMKV for a couple of years and quite like it, though I am still a bit of a novice in the ripping game.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong ...

MakeMKV is really just a remuxer. It grabs the video and audio track(s) and rips them out of the Blu-ray container and puts it in to a .MKV container. It makes no modifications to the the data. The only thing that changes is what you choose not to rip off of the disc.

You get a nice big fat file that will play on anything that can play back .MKV

For me, I run my MKVs through Handbrake using the "High Profile" and spit out M4Vs that are a bit skinnier and iTunes (oh, how I hate you ...) friendly.
HTPC23

Post by HTPC23 »

Thanks for the responses so far. I do have some more questions and I am sure I will have many more. :D

I notice in some titles that there can be up to 3 different English Subtitles sections...
I was told by a friend of mine to just select the (forced only) version of English is that correct?
Also if there is more than one English one how do I choose? Trial and error?
Or would it just be smarter to select all 3 of them?

A great example of one with 3 English Subtitles is Captain American: The Winter Soldier
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Just 3? That's not a record...

For many Anime titles, there will be at least 2. The smaller will be the "forced" or "signs" track, having only the subtitles for signs and writing on the screen, intended to be used with a dubbed audio track. The second will be for the original language audio track, and has all dialog and the occasional translator note.

Beyond that, there can be a director's commentary subtitle track, an actors commentary subtitle track, and occasional a track for the English commentary track(s).

Note that none of these necessarily will be flagged as "default" or "forced only", and sometimes even the language won't be included in the track description.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
HTPC23

Post by HTPC23 »

Yea so digging around some more it seems its more 'trail and error' which is fine. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. A great example of this is The Winter Soldier which is the 3rd English non-forced track to get the subtitles.

Now I just need to figure out which one it is on the Avengers.

Again, I appreciate everyones replies.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Subtitles are a pain in the backside. Expect to have to go through plenty of trial and error to find the correct ones on occasions.

SC