New twist in anti-copy technology

Everything related to MakeMKV
robertsd

New twist in anti-copy technology

Post by robertsd »

Just received the Season 5 blu-ray's of Downton Abbey.
The distributor has added a new twist to the anti-copy method.
The last episode in each blu-ray is made up of several (as many as 15) separate files.
Doing a backup leaves many content files:

Doing an open disk leaves several pages of selections all with the same names and file lengths.

A Blu-ray player can find the information and figure out the way to piece together the file sequence to make an entire episode.

One clue is that in the open disk mode, looking at the descriptions of several selections with the same name, the sequence numbers are in a different order.

If you leave all selected, you get a warning that the space needed is huge. (Told me it needed 4TB to copy the selected files).
I'm a newbie and can't figure out how to paste screen images, or I would have for clarity.
Using version MakeMKV v1.9.1 win(x64-release)
Anyone else having this problem?
I just noticed that the reported Protection is AACS v50
Woodstock

Re: New twist in anti-copy technology

Post by Woodstock »

Multiple "almost right" play lists is a very popular thing to do with movies. So far, the "fix" has been to check internet to find out which title is "correct", although some programs are interpreting the menus on the DVDs and BDs in question, with mixed results.

This is entirely separate from AACS, which works at the hardware level, by modifying your drive's firmware to block use of "compromised" decryption keys.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
robertsd

Post by robertsd »

Looks like this is what happening with the TV episodes. Trouble is all the play lists have exactly the same name.

I guess the question is, if a blu-ray player can figure out which playlist is correct, can MakeMKV?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That answer is, "It depends".

As I understand the problem from reading postings here, the "secret" is to decode what the menus do to find the "main movie". A lot of that goes out the window in the situation you describe - there is more than one "main movie" (episodes), and multiple possible points to screw it up.

Mike says he has an algorithm for finding the main movie on "most" movies released before 1/1/2014.

Suggestion: Follow the instructions in the FAQ in my signature, and send the log and other files specified to support@makemkv.com. Describe what you're seeing. Mike might ask for more information.

But the more examples of an issue he can get, the better solution he can come up with.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
robertsd

Post by robertsd »

Thanks. I'll give that a try.
Darby67

Post by Darby67 »

I think I figured out a many of the episodes of the 3 disks. By looking at the Source File Names and the Segment Maps it looks like there are a few trends.

Disk 1: The first two episodes only have 1 Segment map each. The 3rd episode I was unable to find an easy way of determining.
Episode 1: Source File Name 00802.mpls, File name ends with t160
Episode 2: Source File Name 00467.mpls, File name ends with t86
Episode 3: Unable to determine.

Disk 2: All invalid Source File Names end in .mpls(1) or .mpls(2), correct ones end in .mpls (4 episodes, with several combined episodes). Also, 3 of the episodes only have 1 Segment map. The 4th is many different Segment Maps and based on the combined episode files was able to determine the file based on Segment Maps.
Episode 4: Source File Name 00457.mpls, File name ends with t87
Episode 5: Source File Name 00972.mpls, File name ends with t200
Episode 6: Source File Name 00334.mpls, File name ends with t66
Episode 7: Source File Name 00887.mpls, File name ends with t180

Disk 3: All invalid Source File Names end in .mpls(1), the correct ones end in .mpls (3 total, 2 episodes and the combined 2 episode file)
Episode 8: Source File Name 00806.mpls, File name ends w/ t157
Episode 9: Source File Name 00467.mpls, File name ends w/ t86

I have not done an absolute thorough check on all of these, so the usual use at your own risk applies. But for the most part each disk seems to have a trend and a quick scan through the episodes seems ok. It would be nice if somebody could fill in the blank for Episode 3 and corroborate episodes.
Timothy Wright

Post by Timothy Wright »

First I would like to thank Darby67 for getting me started. With out his help I would not have got this done.

Second my disks #2 and #3 are just like his and his notes were exactly what I needed.

My first disk was not like his, this worked for me using his hints.

Episode 1: Source File Name 00998.mpls, File name ends with t197
Episode 2: Source File Name 00631.mpls File name ends with t126
Episode 3: Source File Name File 00681.mpls was added as title #136
cyberl1

Post by cyberl1 »

I found this to work perfect for me

Disk 1
Episode 1 File ending t160
Episode 2 File ending t126
Episode 3 File ending t142
elwoodblues

Post by elwoodblues »

When I run into these problems I use a program called BDINFO, it tells you the playlists and the files that particular playlist uses.
jmonier

Post by jmonier »

elwoodblues wrote:When I run into these problems I use a program called BDINFO, it tells you the playlists and the files that particular playlist uses.
But it doesn't tell you which is the correct playlist when playlist obsfuscation is used.
avalanche

Post by avalanche »

So I had to create a backup of disk 1 and look at the sections to figure out the correct order for episode 3 as none of the other hints lined up quite right. As best i can tell, the correct segment order is: 101,114,102,111,106,8,258,104,115,112,12,108,105,110,103.

Interestingly the PBS recording seems to have some scenes not in the UK Bluray (perhaps the opposite is also true?).

Hope this helps.
bottleneck70

Post by bottleneck70 »

This is what I found so far using AnyDVD HD v7.5.7.4 with AI Scanner enabled.

I let AnyDVD HD scan the disc and then look at the Status tab > Java BD protection good playlists. Write the playlist numbers down.
I turn off AnyDVD HD, open/close the drive, then run MakeMKV so it reads faster.

Disc #1 (PBS)
s05e01 = 00802.mpls
s05e02 = 00631.mpls
s05e03 = 00709.mpls
combined = 00406.mpls

Disc #2 (PBS)
s05e04 = 00457.mpls
s05e05 = 00972.mpls
s05e06 = 00334.mpls
s05e07 = 00887.mpls
combined = 00521.mpls

Disc #3 (PBS)
s05e08 = 00806.mpls
s05e09 A Moorland Holiday = 00467.mpls
combined = 00649.mpls

I hope this helps someone.
lklassen

Post by lklassen »

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to say that the information I found in this thread really helped me a lot with Season 5 of Downton Abbey on Blu-ray. I had ripped all previous seasons with makeMKV without too much trouble except Season 5! They have obviously changed their encryption methods now, making it very difficult to find out which episodes are correct on each disc!

Thanks to everyone who contributed and finally the information provided by 'bottleneck70' worked for me. All my ripped episodes seem to be correct now. Before, I would just pick some random files from makeMKV that looked right but when viewing them after, some parts would 'jump' around a bit and scenes would be cut up in different places...

I did purchase the actual Blu-ray and I rip everything to my media server, so I was glad to find the information!

Thanks again.
momolabs

Post by momolabs »

Thanks. I just ran DVDFab Passkey BluPath on Disc 1 and it identified 406 as the correct combined title, which means that the above is correct.
pcolmer

Post by pcolmer »

A tip I was given was to use Process Monitor (ProcMon - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 96645.aspx) while playing the Blu-Ray in a software Blu-Ray player. You then watch ProcMon to identify the name of the mpls file that the software player opens when you play a specific episode.

You can apply filtering in ProcMon so that it only reports on access to files on the drive letter of your optical drive.

Hope that helps.