Two questions regarding DTS-HD-HRA:

Everything related to MakeMKV
kevmitch

Two questions regarding DTS-HD-HRA:

Post by kevmitch »

• I have found that the default FLAC profile does not decode DTS-HD-HRA audio tracks, but making the modifications described in this post permit me to decode it on the fly as expected. Is there a reason that this is left out of the defalut profile?
  • According to mikeadmin, all versions of the dtsdecoder.dll should be identical from the perpective of makemkv because the reference decoder code does not change between versions. However, I have found that using version 1.1.0.0 produces a different result than 1.1.0.8 and 1.1.0.9 when decoding HRA, although both sound correct. eac3to exhibits the same behaviour producing identical results to makemkv if they both use the same dll version.

My method was to use

Code: Select all

mmdtsdec -d dtsdecoder.1.1.0.x.dll sample.dtshr sample.1.1.0.x.wav
here are the source file (sample.dtshra) and the results:
sample.dtshr
sample.1.1.0.0.wav
sample.1.1.0.8.wav
sample.1.1.0.9.wav
ndjamena

Re: Two questions regarding DTS-HD-HRA:

Post by ndjamena »

Mike was wrong.

HRA isn't lossless, so any discrepancies could be down to simple rounding (unless they're large differences.)
mike admin

Re: Two questions regarding DTS-HD-HRA:

Post by mike admin »

kevmitch wrote:Is there a reason that this is left out of the defalut profile?
Yes, as "FLAC" profile is about lossless audio. I personally would rather convert DTS_HD HRA to AAC (see AAC profile as example).
kevmitch wrote:However, I have found that using version 1.1.0.0 produces a different result than 1.1.0.8 and 1.1.0.9 when decoding HRA, although both sound correct. eac3to exhibits the same behaviour producing identical results to makemkv if they both use the same dll version.
Thanks for sharing, I did not know that. It is true that 1.0.0.1 and 1.0.0.9 use the same DTS decoder library, yet something is different then. The best guess is to use the latest version of the DLL then, until the issue is investigated.