Thoughts - CDDB equivalent for Bluray (and DVD)?

Everything related to MakeMKV
thefiend

Thoughts - CDDB equivalent for Bluray (and DVD)?

Post by thefiend »

I've seen a lot of people struggling on here with the recent trend of hiding a real title among multiple fake ones. I have a big DVD and BD library and I've had similar problems. I'm also picky about wanting to include all the extras in my collection. That usually means sticking the disc in a blu-ray player and manually cycling through the extras, then having to update the files with the right name, one-by-one. I keep thinking, there must be a better way...

If you're not familiar with CDDB (now Gracenote?), it's basically the solution for CD's. It's a big online database. Each CD (and DVD and BD) has an unique ID on it. When you rip a CD, software that uses CDDB sees the ID on your CD, and checks the CDDB database to see if the disc information is already there. If it finds it, it automatically pulls down the information and labels each song on the CD with the name, artist, etc. If you're the lucky person with a new disc, and the database doesn't have any information for it, you'll be prompted to enter the data for the disc (title, artist, name, etc.)

Anyway, that's how CDDB works. It makes ripping CD's easy and painless. Now if only we had something similar for DVDs and Blurays? Anyone out there aware of an equivalent? Or have any thoughts on creating one? Basically a database that would lookup the Bluray you're working on and find the correct titles, and name them with the correct name when ripping.
nickr

Re: Thoughts - CDDB equivalent for Bluray (and DVD)?

Post by nickr »

thefiend wrote:I've seen a lot of people struggling on here with the recent trend of hiding a real title among multiple fake ones. I have a big DVD and BD library and I've had similar problems. I'm also picky about wanting to include all the extras in my collection. That usually means sticking the disc in a blu-ray player and manually cycling through the extras, then having to update the files with the right name, one-by-one. I keep thinking, there must be a better way...

If you're not familiar with CDDB (now Gracenote?), it's basically the solution for CD's. It's a big online database. Each CD (and DVD and BD) has an unique ID on it. When you rip a CD, software that uses CDDB sees the ID on your CD, and checks the CDDB database to see if the disc information is already there. If it finds it, it automatically pulls down the information and labels each song on the CD with the name, artist, etc. If you're the lucky person with a new disc, and the database doesn't have any information for it, you'll be prompted to enter the data for the disc (title, artist, name, etc.)

Anyway, that's how CDDB works. It makes ripping CD's easy and painless. Now if only we had something similar for DVDs and Blurays? Anyone out there aware of an equivalent? Or have any thoughts on creating one? Basically a database that would lookup the Bluray you're working on and find the correct titles, and name them with the correct name when ripping.
Nice idea, the cddb algorithm for creating a unique ID for each disk is open and relatively simple. It involves creating some sort of hash out of the track numbers and lengths.
icenami

Re: Thoughts - CDDB equivalent for Bluray (and DVD)?

Post by icenami »

There's this method to generate a "DVDID" and use it to retrieve the information from a certain company's online DVD database. Harvesting the information without raising an alarm at that company might be an issue. Also, does anyone know how to obtain a master list of DVDIDs?