Cinavia Protection and VLC

Everything related to MakeMKV
tzehuan

Cinavia Protection and VLC

Post by tzehuan »

Hi,

Apologies I am a newbie...but I have searched the forum and just want to make sure I understand this protection correctly.

Cinavia is a watermark that's embedded onto the audio stream, which some bluray players will recognize it and mute the audio if it's a copied/non licensed disk that's being played, and so far cannot be removed but can be bypassed by running AnyDVD while playing on the computer. Right?

So technically, if I rip a Cinavia movie by MakeKMV to a mkv file and play it with VLC Player (which doesn't have Cinavia protection), I should be able to play it without any problems?

So by streaming the video from computer to TV directly with VLC, Cinavia will not be a problem right?

Thank you for your replies, I'm still catching up on this technology.
Woodstock

Re: Cinavia Protection and VLC

Post by Woodstock »

If a program or device does not look for Cinavia, there won't be an issue.

But a device like a TV could implement Cinavia detection in its firmware. The only way to know for sure is to take a file known to have Cinavia encoding and play it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
PaulCB

Post by PaulCB »

To directly answer your question, Cinavia has to be supported on all current Blu-ray players. It will shut down playback if the file isn't encrypted so if you were to copy your BR as an ISO with protection, Blu-ray playing software wouldn't have an issue but if you were to do so removing the encryption in an iso or mkv, it would shut playback down after a certain amount of time. AnyDVD can disable the check that some of the PC software players do for Cinavia.
VLC, MPC-HC and other such software that isn't a officially licensed player of Blu-ray Disc would not be affected as there is no way they would implement such checks unless they were somehow forced to (which isn't going to happen). BR player software wouldn't do it either if they didn't have to. I can't imagine any TV or other 'app device' that can playback media files (not BR disc) would implement it unless they were paid a lot of money to.
tzehuan

Post by tzehuan »

Thanks for the replies. As far as TV firmware goes...I imagine if we are not playing the file directly from the TV they shouldn't be able to shutdown playback I hope...since it probably has to be done on the software that plays the file...etc a computer/bluray player that plays the file and detect the protection...I hope this is the case...

So as far as ripping the Bluray to MKV, playing it with VLC (a non-Cinavia software) should mean it will play just fine...right? As long as it is not Cinavia supported?

Has anyone ever rip a Cinavia Protected Bluray to MKV and just stream it to TV from computer before?