MakeMKV turns my computer into a 286

Everything related to MakeMKV
tucansam

MakeMKV turns my computer into a 286

Post by tucansam »

AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.0Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win7. DVD-ROM connected via SATA, BD-ROM connected via USB2.0, standard spinner hard drive on SATA.

When MakeMKV is ripping a title, particularly when using the BD-ROM drive (but also with the DVD-ROM on SATA), the entire system slows to a crawl. Task manager shows less than 30% CPU use and MakeMKV isn't even using a gig of RAM. Yet the overall responsiveness of the system is essentially killed. When ripping two titles at once, one from the DVDROM and one from the BDROM, the system is essentially unusable until one or both have finished. When ripping from one drive at a time, even something as simple as opening a new tab in Chrome takes 15-20 seconds. In fact, I have typed this entire post while a title is ripping, and there is about a 15-character delay in my typing vs what is being displayed.

I'm sure my hard disk is being thrashed, but putting MakeMKV on low priority and Chrome (or whatever) on above normal or high priority has no effect.

Any ideas?
Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV turns my computer into a 286

Post by Woodstock »

Check your drive. I run a less-capable machine with two BD rips AND Handbrake encoding video, while watching video, on a regular basis. All file I/O is done to a Synology file server.

It is possible you have a problem with the local drive, OR it is simply not fast enough to deal with the seeks to load programs WHILE writing. I have seen that a lot. Priority is given to getting writes done.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging