How do I watch the saved video?

Everything related to MakeMKV
bahamamon

How do I watch the saved video?

Post by bahamamon »

What is the best program to open and watch the video on the saved .mkv file? I cannot get any of the Windows Media players to work.

Thanks
ndjamena

Re: How do I watch the saved video?

Post by ndjamena »

You could install an evil codec pack from videohelp.com, which should allow Windows Media Player to play the files (semi)properly. I have the (evil) advanced codec pack.

Or you could download Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (MPC-HC). VLC is also an option.

Among others.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

VLC would normally be my recommendation, except that their latest 2.2.x version has proven quite buggy, compared to their 2.1.x and earlier versions.

Additionally, you can check out things like handbrake (from handbrake.fr) as a way to re-code the MKV files into something compatible with more players. It is NOT something that is just "click here and it always works", but, if you're willing to indulge in PLAY TIME (always the best way to learn something, in my experience), you can be rewarded with smaller files that more devices can play.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

VLC would be my recommendation most of the time too. It's just I'm a little disenchanted at the moment and am dancing with the devil.
kahasm

Post by kahasm »

I have Nero 12 installed. I normally use it to batch convert MKV into Mpeg while I am sleeping. Neru plays back MKV flawlessly, at least 12 does.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

VLC. No need to install stupid codec packs that might mess up your system.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

How many times do I have to say "evil" before people get the point?
Last edited by ndjamena on Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tapioka

Post by Tapioka »

I also prefer MPC-HC. Least amount of CPU-drain (nice on mobile systems) and not as bloated as VLC, which feels way overcrowded with options and features if the only purpose is watching movies/TV-shows. MPC-HC also has a better interface (which is, of course, also down to personal taste).
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

ndjamena wrote:How many times do I have to say "evil" before people get the point?
???
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

*sigh*

He was trying to get Windows Media Player to work, I told him how while hinting not to do it. "Evil Codec Packs" letting WMP play "(SEMI)properly".

Anyway, I've had this damn codec pack installed on my computer since before I even knew what a codec was, before I even had a use for a codec, I didn't install it, I just found the control panel and it told me to update, so I did, and have continued doing so ever since.

YET IT HAS NOT ONCE IN ALL THAT TIME CAUSED A SINGLE PROBLEM.

But I've heard they do, so I'll err on the side of caution and won't recommend them.

(I think Chetwood discovered Thors hammer recently and it stole his ability to interpret words... or something.)
Tapioka

Post by Tapioka »

The problem is that those custom codec packs often carry ridiculous names, so an actual "Evil Codec Pack" wouldn't be too farfetched ;).
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I figured the OP might go off to VideoHelp looking for something called "evil advance codec pack".

The point is they wouldn't find it and then they'd have to think about what I actually said.

-edit- and to be honest, if people didn't keep telling me Windows doesn't support Matroska containers, pgs subtitles and whatever else I missed I wouldn't actually know.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

ndjamena wrote:(I think Chetwood discovered Thors hammer recently and it stole his ability to interpret words... or something.)
Funny too read this from the guy who was to stupid to spell this out clearly as shown nicely by the people being confused about his statement. Well done, genius!
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I not going to spell out something I have no reason to believe.

And I have no reason to believe you have any proof ALL codec packs cause the problems you're warning about.

There are warnings on the download pages of several codec packs on videohelp that they DO cause all these problem, yet there isn't one on the one I use.

Is it possible that you're simply stereotyping anything going by the name of "codec pack" like the all knowing genius you are?

And while we're at it:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 295#p40142
ndjamena wrote:And there is some weird arse crap on some Blu Rays.
Can you explain to me what exactly is so ambiguous about that statement that made it necessary for you to troll an entire thread way beyond any sense of reason?

When you mentioned BDSup2Sub I wasted my time hunting down the program in my program directory experimenting with it, looking for anything that would make it "faster". Then just to be sure I looked on videohelp for an updated version of the program, then just to be double sure I downloaded an old version of DVDSubExtractor just to check if I'd been using new feature. Yet even after I told you they were exactly the same you didn't even bother looking and just kept up with the same crap.

And here's the absolute proof that you have no comprehension of what any words actually mean:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 5&start=15
Chetwood wrote:So, now you're getting touchy? Dishing out with no comeback is more you like it? Tough luck.

I also can't decide what I find more funny: the fact that you tell me that it's just impossible despite me having done it successfully for the past few years or that you really seem to think I give one damn about your imaginary sense of superiority based on your oh so big expertise. Hilarious.
Threatening YOUR sense of superiority is NOT evidence of a sense of superiority.

Some of us are trying to work here.
Tapioka

Post by Tapioka »

I have no clue what the past couple of posts are about. It's like reading words that don't connect in a coherent way and have nothing to do with the original question in this thread. Might as well post a manual on how to operate a bicycle.