Can't get rid of sub-titles

Everything related to MakeMKV
Linda19326

Can't get rid of sub-titles

Post by Linda19326 »

Since the last time I downloaded MakeMKV the files all have sub-titles. Do I need to adjust some setting? Please give detailed directions as I am not that computer savy. Thank you.
Woodstock

Re: Can't get rid of sub-titles

Post by Woodstock »

You need to be a bit more specific. If a title has subtitles, the default setting for MakeMKV is to copy those into the MKV file. Using advanced settings, you can tell MakeMKV to never select subtitles for copying, or tell it to only select ones in the preferred language.

What happens after that, depends upon what you use to play the MKV file.

Individual players do different things with subtitles. Some play the first subtitle track found in a file, regardless of language or other settings. Some play the first subtitle track in the preferred language settings. Some play only the tracks marked as "default", or only the tracks marked "forced", unless told otherwise. Some play no subtitles, unless explicitly told to do so. And there are some players that can't display any graphics-based subtitles, such as those found on DVDs and Bluray disks.

Which problem are you having?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Linda19326

Post by Linda19326 »

Thank you for replying. I do not want to copy any sub-titles. What settings do I need to make in advanced setting to accomplish that? Thank you.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

In MakeMKV, you can change your default selection string (if you've invoked Expert Mode) in the Advanced tab.

Based upon this information: http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4386

I would guess that adding "-sel:subtitle" to your selection rule (remember to put commas between rules) would tell MakeMKV to leave ALL subtitle tracks out. This would include the "forced" subtitles used when characters talk in a different language than the main language, or signs/writings in other languages.

I suggest, though, that your primary problem is a player that ignores flags that tell it which tracks to display or not.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

You may also disable subtitles in the standard mode. Just expand the movie title and uncheck the subtitles you do not want. Sometimes one English subtitle track is the is for the foreign language audio parts of a movie (and may not be "forced"). I usually keep all the English subtitles in MakeMKV and select any needed one when compressing with Handbrake using the preview function.

If you don't use Handbrake or wish to automate the deselection, use the expert mode as Woodstock describes.