No MakeMKV.exe created on fresh install

Everything related to MakeMKV
cat-charlie

No MakeMKV.exe created on fresh install

Post by cat-charlie »

Hi,

Yesterday installed the Makemkv 1.9.5 from the website as I noticed there was a more recent version, it installed fine and I ripped a DVD using it without any issues; however today when I went to use MakeMKV it could not find the exe from the shortcut in the start menu (Using Windows 10). I uninstalled MakeMKV and reinstalled it again, though this time it also didn't install the makeMKV.exe file, I tried uninstalling/reinstalling it a few times in a couple of different places and 'install as administrator' (even though I am an admin) and downloaded the installer for 1.9.4 but none of them created the MakeMKV.exe file.

I also used 7-Zip to 'open archive' on the Setup_MakeMKV_v1.9.4.exe and Setup_MakeMKV_v1.9.5.exe and it just displayed the files that are already installed and a $PLUGINSDIR folder with some .dll files, and it didn't have a MakeMKV.exe file in.

I have also just downloaded a couple more versions of the older installers (1.8.10, 1.9.1, 1.9.2 and 1.9.3) and all of them are missing MakeMKV.exe in them.

I am presuming that, as the installers have all of the other files that are installed, there should be a MakeMKV.exe in the installer and it isn't generated during the install (as during the install it says 'extracting MakeMKV.exe ...100%).

So to sum it up, I have tried installing MakeMKV and the MakeMKV.exe file hasn't been installed. Is this something that has happened before, if so is there a fix/work around; if not any ideas?

thank you for any help you can provide.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section of the forum.
Woodstock

Re: No MakeMKV.exe created on fresh install

Post by Woodstock »

Windows 10, it would not surprise me that BitDefender is interfering. It's been causing crashes when ripping Bluray disks. It is entirely possible it is being quarantined, making it "disappear".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
cat-charlie

Post by cat-charlie »

Woodstock wrote:Windows 10, it would not surprise me that BitDefender is interfering. It's been causing crashes when ripping Bluray disks. It is entirely possible it is being quarantined, making it "disappear".
I don't have Bitdefender, Is that something that comes with Windows 10? I have Avast! as my AntiVirus.

I disabled it while I downloaded and installed MakeMKV and that worked! Thank you!
acubley

Post by acubley »

Had the same problem. Went into Avast settings / update and installed the latest version and MakeMKV installed perfectly.

:D
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

BitDefender is a free anti-virus program that apparently ships with Win10, although it has non-free versions. When it was added to the Win10 beta, a lot of things stopped working.

Mike has been working on ways to fix that.
thore93

Post by thore93 »

Had the same problem with Avast. Updating didn't fix it, but disabling it for the installation worked out for me.
billbillw

Post by billbillw »

Bitdefender is not included in Windows 10. You are confusing it with "Windows Defender" which has been a part of Windows for years (its in Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10). It is the newer version of Microsoft Security Essentials. It is typically disabled when you install a 3rd party antivirus/malware program like Avast, etc.

Bitdefender is actually one of the best antivirus software out there, available as both a free and pay version.

I have also had recent issue with Avast and MakeMKV. It is identifying a trojan called Win32:Evo-gen and I am somewhat concerned. I have posted elsewhere asking about this issue.
user with problem

Post by user with problem »

I feel dumb to ask this, i am not expert, just trying to figure out this same problem, How do you disable any of those programs during the installation? I am trying to help someone else with this problem and have no idea what i am supposed to do as far as disabling avast or windows defender. Please make any instructions simple.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

How you disable the program or grant exceptions varies with the A/V program. For AVG (the one I use), there is an icon in the system tray to bring up its user interface, and you go to the History/Virus Vault to find what programs and files it has judged to be dangerous. From there, you can tell it which programs to grant exceptions to.