in the fog I see lines...

Everything related to MakeMKV
makememe

in the fog I see lines...

Post by makememe »

I question makemkv provides what the disc presents to the player. What else can it be when bard in the barge, loaded with dwarves and fish, navigates a fog bank lined with pixelation? In other words, the fog is not the same fog from the mkv as is by the disc.

every now and then I see differences and I do not see how issues like this can be anything other than examples I am not getting what the disc presents to the player.

hobbit: desolation of smaug provides the best example I have come across of my movies and I checked again from the disc to ps4. I viewed the scene from plex server to plex ht (same machine max resolution) hdmi connection (no network involved) to 52" 1080p, but also on the same machine I used vlc to check the files (both theater and extended) hoping this a plex issue.

It would be great to hear someone has an idea why the mkv is not the same as the disc. Mist, fog, clouds, sometimes types of dark areas like in the movie 9, are where the resolution test is more easily realized. otherwise, in most scenes it is probably impossible to discern a difference. but there is a difference or there would not be lines in the mist.

Ideas and/or recommendations welcome. oh yeah, I use up-to-date makemkv, default settings on win7 64b with pioneer bdr206 (update firmware). I purchased the right to use makemkv long ago.

Woodstock, I hope this topic does not irritate, but I pose it like this, questioned the software, because I do not see what I could have done wrong or that it is anything other than a mkv file limitation next to what we get from the disc.

Thank you.
Woodstock

Re: in the fog I see lines...

Post by Woodstock »

What you describe sounds like two issues - one is the lines seen when an interlaced source is displayed using a player that isn't removing the interlace, the other what happens when the network can't keep supplying the video as fast as the player renders it, so there are "gaps".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
makememe

Post by makememe »

Thank you for the time, Woodstock.

there is no network unless I misunderstand your definition of network; everything is done off the same machine--no networking.

I have yet to have a bluray rip that had interlace issues; it happens sometimes with dvds, for me. that is easily handled with kodi or plex ht. In other words, I do not consider this an interlace problem.

it appears to me to be a resolution issue, i.e., for whatever reason I am not getting the same picture with the mkv as with the disk played by the ps4, but again it is noticeable only in limited circumstances/scenes like the aforementioned.

with the amount of time spent on another issue having gone over the possibilities of faulty or insufficient hardware, it will take some convincing that this is a problem with my equipment and not a problem with makemkv. unless, that is, default setting of makemkv is not pulling every bit of resolution from the disc. I see no other way to configure the application to up the resolution.

Thanks again.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

If you're blocking MakeMKVs access to the internet it could be a bd+ issue.

In any case, if there was a problem with the rip MakeMKV should have issued a warning.
makememe

Post by makememe »

I did not say there are errors and the machine is not accessing the internet. I would have started with that and now there are errors and problems, but then I think the symptoms would be more pronounced than just the lines in the fog or in some dark scenes that are easily missed. do you have the movie and have taken a good look at the scene on at least a 52" screen?

from all the research and experimenting, this is a resolution issue. it appears to me makemkv, default settings, does NOT provide the same picture, on same screen, as I get when I watch the same disc on a ps4, and xbox1 for that matter, for some scenes like as mentioned.

so I ask Mike to take a look. there is nothing more I can do to get this work to the point that I cannot tell I am watching mkv vs disc on ps4. Is that the claim? capturing the stream? should be the same? it is not for at least the scenes mentioned.

again, thank you for the time, but I see no more help coming unless Mike looks at the scene in desol of smaug and discerns if it happens to his rip as well. if not, then I have no idea what I could have wrong. what else could be wrong? I have an otherwise good looking movie with sound, it is that some scenes require more resolution, like that foggy scene, and it is clear the mkv does not handle it well.

I think I have exhausted all the the possible causes for resolution issues, and there is nothing to mess up using makemkv default.