LG BD390 playback of MKV files issue...

Everything related to MakeMKV
TexasGrillChef

Re: LG BD390 playback of MKV files issue...

Post by TexasGrillChef »

Honestly I can't answer that question. I don't use the analog output of the BD390. I guess I could since my receiver does have 7.1 analog input. However I have never seen much point to using it, if HDMI can do 7.1 digitally.

TGC
datman

Post by datman »

I'm all but sure that was a problem with software players and stand alones do not have the problem. I have a processor that does not have HDMI http://bryston.com/sp2_m.html it's a good unit not worth what I paid but I have 13 years of warranty left :D

A few weeks ago I thought I read a thread (can't find it now) but someone with a receiver that had HDMI and 7.1 analog switched to analog and thought it sounded better and 2 more people read the thread tried it and agreed.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Maybe you folks should consider PM-ing - because this is actually a MakeMKV-specific forum...
TexasGrillChef

Post by TexasGrillChef »

datman wrote:I'm all but sure that was a problem with software players and stand alones do not have the problem. I have a processor that does not have HDMI http://bryston.com/sp2_m.html it's a good unit not worth what I paid but I have 13 years of warranty left :D

A few weeks ago I thought I read a thread (can't find it now) but someone with a receiver that had HDMI and 7.1 analog switched to analog and thought it sounded better and 2 more people read the thread tried it and agreed.
All depends on your area too I bet. As anything analog I have tried at my house has BAD RFI/EMI interference. Then again I live with 500 feet of a sub station and 300' of the Super High Voltage powerlines too. When the humidity is high, or its raining, all my Florescent tubes in the garage that are in still in the box, start glowing! If I take one out and take it to my backyard. the darn thing will light up! Suffice it to say. If I want FREE light on my back porch during a rain storm, all I need is a few of my 8' florescents! LOL

TGC
TexasGrillChef

Post by TexasGrillChef »

setarip_old wrote:Maybe you folks should consider PM-ing - because this is actually a MakeMKV-specific forum...
I agree some have gotten off topic. But my topic was the use of MakeMKV being used to create MKV files that are having issues playing on the LG BD390 player.

Once I figured out the problem. ie... Reference frames being at 2 instead of 3 or 4 it moved on to seeing if MakeMKV can change the reference frames.

One intersting note. I did try RipBot and HAndbrake. Seems they both created H.264 MKV's with reference frames of 3 or 4. Both programs created MKV's that would play on the BD390.

The problem with either or both of those programs, is that the resulting Video SUCKED! Ripbot decreased the bitrate from 20mpbs+ to that of 8mbps. Handbrake did the same. Not for sure how to keep the bitrate at the original level. It also reduced file size by at least 50% or more. Honestly I have no need to reduce file size. I have access to all the hard drive space I need. So I could careless if a MKV file is 5gb or 5TB's. I want to maintain ORIGINAL quality of my h.264 and put it in an MKV. Now I understand that changing reference frames from 2 to 3 or 4 may have an effect on quality. But it is something that I will have to endure so that I can get the benefits of MKV over just playing a M2TS file.

M2TS file with original quality h.264 but no special effects (Slo mo, fast forward/rewind scan) is better than crappy quality of handbrake or ripbot but getting the benefits of MKV.(Slo mo, Fast forward/rewind scan).

Thanks

P.S. I have left a thread in other forums dedicated to handbrake and Ripbot about seeing if those programs have the capaiblity to maintain original quality/size. So no need to answer questions about those two programs. Let's leave this discussion for MakeMKV and fixes if possible. I do prefer MakeMKV over the other two. Although each have their benefits.
vrhunski

Post by vrhunski »

Hello,

I have LG BD 390.
I have issue with some of .mkv files playing on BD 390.
Most of them working fine but at the moment I am trying to watch "Caprica S01E05".
Caprica.S01E05.720p.HDTV.x264-IMMERSE.mkv on my PC is working fine, as well as on my Nero MediaHome server.

My BD 390 is connected over WiFi to the my home network.
On my LG BD 390 I watched all other Caprica episodes with same .mkv file and it worked fine.

This one S01E05 I can't even start. When I want to start this episode I just get 'break' and then it gets back on menu to start it again.

The second issue with this BD 390 is that on .avi files not all subtitles are possible to be displayed. Subtitles with .mkv files work much better.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@vrhunski

Hi!
Caprica.S01E05.720p.HDTV.x264-IMMERSE.mkv on my PC is working fine
Postings about torrents downloads, or any other "other-than-purchased" source material are neither appropriate nor acceptable at this forum...
vrhunski

Post by vrhunski »

I am sorry. Just wanted to solve this BD 390 issue.
dtblair

Post by dtblair »

I am confused here regarding reference frames. I rip my own Blurays using MakeMKV and under mediainfo there are no reference frames. My understanding is that these weighted frames are created during the lossy compression process of transcoding a larger file into a smaller file. This is common in torrent files and that is why a 20-30GB file is only 7GB. They might be called 1080P but they are radically changed as evidenced by their size and bit-rate. Are your mkv files full rips and if so, why are you getting reference frames?
TexasGrillChef

Post by TexasGrillChef »

Well I don't use the 7.1 analog output on my BD390 player. So I couldn't answer that question for you.

One other note I have found about the BD390. Which has been fixed with the BD590.

The BD390 will NOT play MKV files with H.264 video that has reference frames set at 1 or 2. It requires that the H.264 video have reference frames set at either 3 or 4. This has been verified directly by LG as well.

TGC
hannibal

Post by hannibal »

so how do u change movies to H.264 video have reference frames set at either 3 or 4?
Bob K

Post by Bob K »

Texas,

I have the same reference frame problem on my LG BD670.

Did you ever come up with a convenient way to convert from MKV with 2 reference frames to MKV with 3 or 4 reference frames?

Also, what method do you use to check to see if a source bluray disk will produce an MKV with 2 reference frames before you decide how to rip it?

Finally, what method works best for ripping to M2TS when you have reference frame problems?