Loss of subtitles

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
BillAmes

Re: Loss of subtitles

Post by BillAmes »

Woodstock wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:06 pm

If you are on any kind of budgetary restrictions, do NOT go to rightstufanime.com because it will likely turn into an economic disaster for you.

Back to subtitles - On BDs, MakeMKV will offer to search subtitle tracks for ones that have the "forced" flag, and will create separate tracks for those... then delete them automatically if they're empty. On DVDs, it doesn't. If the track exists on the disk, though, MakeMKV won't delete it, even if it is empty.
I am trying to not misuse this forum with anime talk. I will say only, yes, very budgetary now in retirement, I will only buy something I consider a must-have, such as The World God Only Knows and Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions.

Makemkv, they should merge with the handbreak people so we can have save options! I will look through by much too large DVD collection to see if any can be promoted to "time to rewatch." I do not know what the business model is for this place here, if I were still working I would... Is there any way to get an srt file from the subs, that would be a nice option. If the powers that be here would consider a GUI for their command line content if it can be made easier for everyone it will be easier for me. BD is pay now but where is the checkout?

I enjoy chatting and by your post total you do also. Do you have an alternate contact, using this forum is not fair to management?
Always looking for an MLB and Code Lyoko crossover.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

There are ways to integrate MakeMKV and handbrake, but they are not optimal. When doing so, the rip is limited by the compression speed, rather than "as fast as possible". This means the part that we participate in, swapping disks, takes a LOT longer. It isn't much of a problem for a single disk, but re-ripping something like Bleach (370 episodes, average 5 episodes per disk) because I figured out a better way to have subtitles AND chapters, the difference in my time is over a week saved.

It is easy enough to queue up a few hundred files for handbrake to run through over time. When I ripped all of the Star Trek series, it took handbrake half a month to work its way through them. I think that was 185 BDs total, and I did a few seasons per day ripping. Handbrake has a command line version that you can script with batch files or shell scripts, and just let it run, and you don't have to worry about it hitting disk errors, since the read-from-optical has already been completed.

You're right that there isn't a "chat like" board on this site. I think it would be a problem in that it might be TOO popular if we set one up.

My anime/manga/novel collection got too big to remember what's in it. I maintain a web page to make sure I don't buy things more than once. It doesn't always work, but I have someone I "gift" the overages to. Sometimes, though, there are deliberate re-buys; I've bought all of To Love-Ru twice so far (DVD, then BD), with a dubbed version coming out soon to make 3 times. I've also got a complete set of the Japanese language manga, and the English version will be complete in a few months.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
philb1701

Post by philb1701 »

It's a little off-topic, but I feel your pain with regards to managing large libraries. I'm retiring twin 10TB external drives and am moving to twin 20TB RAIDS (in 5-bay containers) to manage my ever-growing library. These RAIDS have an ultimate storage capacity of 64TB (4x16TB each; I'm leaving one bay open in each one for temporary use). One RAID is for primary use, the other is for a weekly backup.

One way I've found to help avoid duplicate purchases is with a program called CDpedia (for music) and DVDpedia for movies. It also has an accompanying app for iPhones and iPad called PocketPedia. It has become an invaluable tool in library management.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

20TB is too limiting... I passed that with my previous NAS (32TB limit, current one uses 10TB drives for 70TB available... and it's at 60% of capacity already. And I do prefer stand-alone NAS units for this - the Synology units I'm using are among the kind that have media serving (Apple, SMB, and DLNA) included, so I don't have to keep a "regular" computer up and running for it.

I've looked at coming up with a way for managing the disks, more for keeping track of which box they're in. Sometimes I need to re-rip something, and finding which of the 35+ Bankers Boxes it's in is a hassle. I'm considering a UPC-based inventory system when I get around to pulling everything out and putting all parts of the various series together. It's something I HAVE to do, if I ever want to find room to put my new desk and monitors up...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging