Prevent Movie Title from Being Burned at Beginning of Video

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
cavcoder

Prevent Movie Title from Being Burned at Beginning of Video

Post by cavcoder »

Apologies if this has been covered before, but any search with the word "title" results in discussions of subtitles.

I'm interested in removing the title of the movie that is always burned onto the video at the very beginning. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks!
Woodstock

Re: Prevent Movie Title from Being Burned at Beginning of Video

Post by Woodstock »

Disable that feature in your player. MakeMKV doesn't change the video, so it's not something "burned in".

Most likely, your player displays the Title metadata that will be found in the file. That is put there because many DLNA media servers use it in place of the file name when presenting a menu.

Edited to add: In VLC, this will be found in the "Subtitles/OSD" tab of preferences, as "Show media title on video start".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Woodstock wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:15 pm
Edited to add: In VLC, this will be found in the "Subtitles/OSD" tab of preferences, as "Show media title on video start".
The stored title name in the MKV header can also be changed or removed/cleared with the "MKVToolNIXGui" Header Editor, or in batch with "mkvpropedit --edit info --set title="
Good Luck :)

Post by cavcoder »

I'm pleasantly surprised by your rapid responses! But then, I rarely use forums like this.

Thank you Woodstock - I've unchecked the pesky "Show media title on video start" box. At first blush it seems a strange thing to have in a viewer, given that the user probably chose the movie/TV episode by name. I'm sure I'm missing something there.

Thank you Grauhaar (I'm halfway there myself!). I'll look at the MKVToolNIXGui and mkvpropedit tools as well.

Be safe, stay healthy.

Chuck
awdspyder

Post by awdspyder »

Alternatively, you can edit this title before you rip by simply clicking on the main title and changing the name in the field to the right. This way, you'll still retain the metadata, and you won't have to go back later and edit it.