Hoping to simplify manual DVD file option

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Peter_Pan

Hoping to simplify manual DVD file option

Post by Peter_Pan »

Hi, and thanks for what seems to be a perfect utility for me! I use a commercial program called "1-Click DVD copy Pro", to make personal copies of rented disks. A separate DLL takes care of the typical disk unlocking, and the software allows me to significantly reduce the size of my copy, by letting me choose to copy the movie, and nothing else. lately, due to the availability of low cost multi-terabyte disk, I've been using the software to copy the move directly to my Hard drive. This results in a folder with the same name as the movie, and a single TS_VIDEO folder inside. This folder is usually very scaled down compared to the rented DVD, and typically contains a VIDEO_TS.INF file, some *.BUP files, and whatever number of VOB files are needed to hold the movie in (I g8uess) 1 GB chunks. I realize I could convert all this to an MP4, but space is cheap these days, so I'd rather just keep the movie as is, in its original encoding.

BUT... while Makemkv was very easy and instinctive to use when I asked it to open one of my copied disks, it was not so easy when I tried the manual choice, or any other choice available, to start with one of my TS_VIDEO folders. The syntax to create strings seemed overly complex to me, when i consider that a copied DVD having nothing but the same TS_VIDEO folder worked without that step. Is there some way to ask MakeMKV to simply deal with the TS_VIDEO folder already on a hard drive, as if it were on a DVD disk? If not, can someone offer a simplified string I can apply to make this advanced manual operation a little less advanced?

Thanks!
Grauhaar

Re: Hoping to simplify manual DVD file option

Post by Grauhaar »

I don't think that this is working with MakeMKV. The tool is designed to work with DVD discs and all data on it. But have only some parts of the DVD on the harddisc.

But "MKVToolNIX GUI" can do this. Open the first 1GB file from the VTS, all other 1GB files are automaticaly appended. Now you can select the tracks, order them, and press muxx and you get the mkv file.
Good Luck :)

Re: Hoping to simplify manual DVD file option

Post by Peter_Pan »

Well I'm pretty satisfied with the automated operation, except maybe that it ignores the DVD video title and crates a file called Title_t00.mkv" I can rename it manually if the software cant apply the name to the output file. But the the manual operation if very confusing. was hoping to be able to simply specify the VOB files I wanted to combine, but apparently you have to do it with programming strings. If that is the case, some examples would be helpful. Thanks.