MKV can't open good disk copy. Do devlopers want a copy?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Peter_Pan

MKV can't open good disk copy. Do devlopers want a copy?

Post by Peter_Pan »

I am using MakeMKV v. 1.15.1 (Beta) on a win-10 (64 bit) system to convert a library of about 200 copied DVD movies. (I've mentioned before I've made then for years with a commercial program called "1-Click DVD Copy pro). The copied disks are unencrypted, and are usually copied with the "movie only" setting So they basically contain an empty AUDIO_TS folder and a VIDEO_TS folder. The files there are VIDEO_TS.BUP, VIDEO_TS.INF VTS_01_0.BUP, VTS_01_0.IFO, And then 6 (more or less depending on the movie) the VOB files named VTS_01_1.VOB through (example) VTS_01_6.VOB.

Soof 150 disks processed so far, I've only ran into two instances where MakeMKV could not "open" the disk. In this case I re-ran my "1-Click" copy again, this time to copy to a disk folder. I then try to use the "Open Files" option. After pointing the resulting browse window to the "INF" file (only one it will recognize) in the file version to the TS_VIDEO folder, in one occasion it worked. In the other occasion, however, it did not. Regardless of whether I tried the disk or the file, there was nothing useful in the log beyond the failure message. For the DVD case it would say...

Code: Select all

Using direct disc access mode
Failed to open disc
In the case of the file it would say...

Opening files on harddrive at C:/Users/Public/Videos/Temp/MR_CHURCH/VIDEO_TS
Failed to open disc
So bottom line, both the disk itself or the TS_VIDEO file play just fine in my VLC player, and in the case of the disk it also plays in any standalone DVD player I've tried. I also had no trouble using Handbrake to convert the TS_VIDEO file to an MP4, with no trouble.

So all that to say, 1 complete failure out of 150 disks is nothing to complain about But I'd assume the developers would want to explore the reason for such a failure. So if the developers would like a copy to analyze further, tell me how to get it to you. Obviously all the VOB files would not upload well (or in a timely manner). But maybe you just need certain files? Or worst case if you'd need the whole disk, and there's some way to mail you a copy postage paid, I'd be willing to do that.
Grauhaar

Re: MKV can't open good disk. Do devlopers want a copy?

Post by Grauhaar »

General rule, use the original disc and provide a full debug log. Noone knows what the copy tool does with the files.
Good Luck :)

Post by Peter_Pan »

Well @Grauhaar, here's a smarter rule: If I develop a product that can't work with files that all other products can use, I appreciate users reporting issues as well as offers to help. I may not be able to, but an opportunity to do so is usually appreciated. But that's just me. If you are one of the developers and the thanks you give such a customer is "good luck"... OK then. please let me know you're a developer, and I'll act accordingly.

And by the way, yes .... someone does know what the copy tool does. And I happen to be very friendly with its author and could find out. Thats because over the years he's earned my business, by giving me much better answers than "Good Luck". And what if the "tool" is copying the VIDEO_TS.INF verbatim? In that case, not being able to open it means MakeMKV would fail with the original disk too. I'm offering an opportunity to improve the product.

Oh... the what I entered WAS the FULL debug log. So if that's not enough, then the DEBUG log needs work too.
ImCoKeMaN

Post by ImCoKeMaN »

This link shows the details on how to send in the relevant info from a debug log and it's setup it is a txt file and will definitely include more detail than the 2 lines you were able to show so far to include makemkv version drive info etc.

https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8
Woodstock

Re: MKV can't open good disk copy. Do devlopers want a copy?

Post by Woodstock »

If the encryption has been removed, you can USUALLY use other tools, such as handbrake or mkvtoolnix.

MakeMKV works just fine opening ISO files, either encrypted or unencrypted, where the DVD file structure is intact. The file structures left over by some random, non-related product are not nearly as predictable as you seem to think.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Peter_Pan wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:28 pm
Well @Grauhaar, here's a smarter rule: If I develop a product that can't work with files that all other products can use, I appreciate users reporting issues as well as offers to help.
Sorry, I'm not the developer of MakeMKV, I'm a normal user as you. If you do not want to provide more information, no problem. I think, all others was already written.
Good Luck :)

Re: MKV can't open good disk copy. Do devlopers want a copy?

Post by Peter_Pan »

@Woodstock,

Yeah I was just was trying MakeMKV for convenience. I also make both MKV and plain MPG files using the old familiar FFMPEG. It can deal directly with VOB "MOVIE ONLY" relevant files, since I already have them in decrypted copies. Since it only needs the VOB files, it doesn't get tripped up if something is amiss in the INF files in a DVD. For example...

ffmpeg -i "concat:VTS_01_1.VOB|VTS_01_2.VOB|VTS_01_3.VOB|VTS_01_4.VOB|VTS_01_5.VOB|VTS_01_6.VOB" -f DVD -c copy someOutput.MPG
I've been working on a script to automate the process as neatly as makeMKV does, with some success. But I thought I'd see if the developers were monitoring these posts. Now that I see how to report it, I will.

@ImCoKeMaN Thanks. I've done just what the linked page says. Hope it helps!