How to make output file name match Source folder name

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
spammy

How to make output file name match Source folder name

Post by spammy »

Hi all!

I've seen the following type of question asked here (but I don't see where it's been answered):

"I would like the output file name to match the source folder name. Is there an option for that?

For example: If source folder is, 21 Jump Street (2012), I would like the file to be output as 21 Jump Street.mkv

Can someone tell me what steps I need to take? I have a hunch there are a certain string of commands I need to enter in the "Output file name template field" under the advanced tab. Am I close? Does anyone know what string of commands I can put there?

Thank you so much!

Spammy
Woodstock

Re: How to make output file name match Source folder name

Post by Woodstock »

Your example isn't "matching", because you're only putting part of the folder name into the file name.

Have you looked at Changing names with Expert mode enabled? It is not automated, but it also doesn't take long to do, if you're comfortable with keyboard-based copy/paste.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
spammy

Post by spammy »

Thank you for your quick reply Woodstock!

I messed up. I meant to say in my example:

If source folder is, 21 Jump Street (2012), I would like the file to be output as 21 Jump Street (2012).mkv

So I'm looking for an exact match between folder name and file name. Can this be done automatically? If so, can you give me or direct me to a "step by step" guide on how to do this?

Thank you!

Spammy
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The practical answer is that it cannot be GENERALLY automated. What would work for a movie wouldn't work for something with more than one episode. I deal mostly with episodic sources, so the copy/paste routing outlined in the other topic covers me. Even with 10 or more disk sets, it's pretty fast.