FEATURE REQUEST: Auto-Focus Cursor on Text Field

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Radiocomms237

FEATURE REQUEST: Auto-Focus Cursor on Text Field

Post by Radiocomms237 »

This suggestion is such a tiny little thing but would make setup so much quicker & easier...

When clicking on any item in the left pane of MakeMKV (titles and tracks), could we please have the focus (cursor) automatically shifted to the text field in the right pane?

And if there is any existing text in that field, could it also be highlighted for replacement (with CTRL+V) or copying (with CTRL+C)?

This would make setup so much quicker as we could click once with the mouse and CTRL+V (paste) on the keyboard, then move onto the next item.

At the moment it's click once in the left pane, move the mouse to the right pane, click in the text field, then CTRL+V to paste, then move the mouse back to the left pane to highlight the next item. Times that by all the labels added to a disc and it adds up to a lot of time saved!

I can't think of any downside to this behavior, if you want to keep some or all of the existing text you would simply mouse-over to the right pane and click in the text field as it is now.
Woodstock

Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Auto-Focus Cursor on Text Field

Post by Woodstock »

Are you trying to enter the "same stuff" in the right menu?

I ask because I think you may want to do what I do normally. I'll describe it:

Open disk. Select first entry on left (should normally be selected). Changing the name for the disk, which should change it for all records on the disk.

Select first track on left. You can edit (as appropriate) the changed name. As long as you keep the cursor on the right side, up and down take you to the previous/next track. If you edit something, going BACK to the first entry (disk title), you can change that to make all your unmodified tracks "change name".

This also works if you select "Filename" in the properties window, if you want to take out the "_txx" in front of the .mkv, although you'll want to do the "Name" field first for this.

The focus doesn't automatically change from left to right, but it will stay on the right as you go up/down. I use it when dealing with multiple tracks for several episodes, just adding the episode number after the "main text".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Thanks, I am aware of that function, in fact, I almost always remove any text in the field in the right pane (with the top line on the left pane highlighted) so ALL that text disappears from ALL the lines before I start adding labels (it saves having to highlight the existing text in the field before pasting, which was part of my feature request).

BTW, for everyone else reading, I forgot to mention earlier that you MUST BE IN EXPERT MODE to get access to this "text field".

Even doing it how you do, that only works for title labels, but that's only a fraction of the labels I add during disc setup!

The main purpose of this request is for when I work my way down the list and add a "Closed Captions" label to all the English CC subs, for example (I tag almost every track in almost every title during setup, all in their own language).
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Radiocomms237 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:17 am
(I tag almost every track in almost every title during setup, all in their own language).
But why? I mean what information do you write in there? MakeMKV knows already which language an audio track or subtitle track is (if the disc is mastered correctly, which is usually the case). And any player should be able to tell you, which language the tracks are.
I can understand it for like hearing impared to make an extra note, but for normal languages?
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Okay, we're getting off-topic here (and I really shouldn't have to defend myself) but...

If you don't label all your tracks, how do you know, for example, whether a Spanish track is Latin American or Castilian dialect, or a French track is Quebeçois or Parisian, or a Portuguese track is Brazilian or European, or Cantonese vs. Taiwanese vs. Traditional Mandarin, or any number of other dialects for that matter (the list goes on and on). There are no individual language/country codes on a disc or in the International Standards that denote different dialects, even when they're listed as such on the rear jacket and/or disc menu!

Or how do you know whether a track is just the on-screen text (in any particular language), or foreign dialogue sections only, or voiced dialogue only, or captions for the hearing impaired, or a descriptive narration track for the visually impaired, or a commentary or commentary translation? I also list all the participants of those commentary tracks so I can see who's who later on when I no longer have the disc jacket at-hand to read.

And I label EVERYTHING in whatever language the track happens to relate to as there isn't much point having a Bulgarian track if it isn't labelled in Bulgarian!

I also tag all my video and audio tracks with the codec used (Mpeg2 / Mpeg4 AVC High@L4.1 / VC-1 / etc. for video and Dolby Digital / TrueHD /Atmos / DTS-HD Master Audio / DTS High Res / LPCM / etc. for audio), as well as the channel layout (7.1 / 5.1 / 2.0 / etc.) because I want to be able to identify them later on.

Why do I do all this? Because if I'm going to do something I like to do it properly!

If you don't want to do any of that then that's fine as well.
flojo

Post by flojo »

Hopefully you get that featured added.

Otherwise, maybe reshape your thinking/approach.
Radiocomms237 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:42 am
There are no individual language/country codes on a disc or in the International Standards that denote different dialects
There has since at least 2007, 16 years ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_639-3

Radiocomms237 wrote:
And I label EVERYTHING in whatever language...

I also tag all my video and audio tracks....
So makemkv does _NOT_ tag a language code?
Radiocomms237 wrote:
...I like to do it properly!
I wouldn't say doing this by hand is "properly" done. Make a small script with ffprobe to get the language and re-tag. Of course if you're only ripping a few discs just rough it out.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

You do things the way you want, I'll do things the way I want. I'm just trying to suggest a feature which may make life a little easier.