DTS-HD transcoding to FLAC failing in MakeMKV version 1.7.7

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
esseff

DTS-HD transcoding to FLAC failing in MakeMKV version 1.7.7

Post by esseff »

First off, it’s great to have the on-the-fly FLAC conversion! I am able to transcode LPCM and TrueHD with no problem, but have no success with DTS-HD despite following instructions for one-time setup. When I use the FLAC profile with a DTS-HD track selected, errors or crashes always occur. MakeMKV appears to successfully recognize dtsdecoderdll.dll, which was obtained from a trial copy of TMT5 downloaded several days ago. Version information of dtsdecoderdll.dll is 1.1.0.8, and size is 929,792 bytes. ffmpeg location is empty, as it should be. Problem reproduces on all BD disks with DTS-HD I have tried, and on 2 different machines (both win7-x64). On one machine, I get a crash pop-up ‘MakeMKV DTS-HD decoder has stopped working’, with crashing application name mmdtsdex.exe. On the other machine, the underlying crash is not evident, but the GUI reports ’failed to save title 0 to file …’. Log trace attached.
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(5.97 KiB) Downloaded 641 times
ryanjk333

Re: DTS-HD transcoding to FLAC failing in MakeMKV version 1.

Post by ryanjk333 »

Were you ever able to resolve this issue? The program crashes for me as well, when I try converting DTS-HD to FLAC even though I'm pretty sure I've set it all up correctly. I could try to post a log as well if it helps anyone...
MakeMKV registered!
LG External 12x Super Multi Blue Lightscribe Blu-Ray Rewriter BE12LU30
Popcorn Hour C-200
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

From the posted log file it looks that the problem is with mmffmpeg. Can you please try each step separately, i.e. convert dts-hd to LPCM, and then LPCM to flac (from the same or different sources, doesn't matter). Also, please try navigating to MakeMKV install directory and see if you can launch mmffmpeg.exe .
esseff

Post by esseff »

As requested, I tried to transcode from DTS-HD to LPCM, and I got a Windows crash box "MakeMKV DTS-HD decoder has stopped working". I am not that familiar with the xml configuration file, so I have attached it in case I did something wrong with the 'LPCM' profile I created for testing.

I opened a CMD prompt and navigated to the MakeMKV install directory. I was able to launch both mmffmpeg.exe and mmffmpeg64.exe. Each responded with a version message.
Attachments
lpcm.mmcp.xml
(3.63 KiB) Downloaded 636 times
ryanjk333

Post by ryanjk333 »

I always get this Windows crash box as well. I have yet to successfully convert a DTS-HD track to FLAC. LPCM to FLAC works fine though...
MakeMKV registered!
LG External 12x Super Multi Blue Lightscribe Blu-Ray Rewriter BE12LU30
Popcorn Hour C-200
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Please follow the instructions at http://www.makemkv.com/onlinehelp/dump.html and make a debug dump for mmdtsdec.exe (the dts decoder that crashes).
What exact OS version are you using? 32/64 bit, what version, what service pack?
esseff

Post by esseff »

Problem reproduced with MakeMKV 1.7.8.

I created the dump file as requested and placed it in a folder named 'Public' in my DropBox. I'm not familiar with DropBox. I assume that it sent a link to support@makemkv.com when I added that email address to the "invite collaborators to this folder" in DropBox.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 edition, service pack 1.
esseff

Post by esseff »

Have also emailed you a direct link to the DropBox file to support@makemkv.com. If you don't get it, please let me know and we'll try another way to get you the crash dump file.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Thanks for sending all requested info. With your second dump the problem was found and will be corrected in the next version. There is unfortunately no workaround for current version, but the next version will be available very soon.
esseff

Post by esseff »

I have verified with MakeMKV version 1.7.9 that DTS-HD transcoding to FLAC now works successfully, on BD's that failed in previous versions. Thanks!