Transcoding a TrueHD stream to FLAC hangs in version 1.7.7

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
esseff

Transcoding a TrueHD stream to FLAC hangs in version 1.7.7

Post by esseff »

The following anomaly occurred when transcoding a TrueHD track to FLAC using the FLAC profile. At the very end of the operation with the progress bars almost complete, estimated time remaining stuck at 0:00:00, or at several seconds. CPU use fell to zero. Attempt to cancel current operation using UI did not work (progress bars remained). Task manager shows instance of makemkvcon64.exe and 2 instances of mmffmpeg64.exe running but using no CPU. Exit UI worked, but hung instances of makemkvcon64.exe and mmfmpeg64.exe remained. Debug log file could not be viewed because it was locked. After killing instances of makemkvcon64.exe and mmffmpeg64.exe, log file could be viewed. Debug log file is attached. As a test, I ran MakeMKV on the same BD using the default profile, specifying the same TrueHD audio track but without transcoding. This operation worked. Machine is win7-x64.
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(6.31 KiB) Downloaded 525 times
mike admin

Re: Transcoding a TrueHD stream to FLAC hangs in version 1.7

Post by mike admin »

The (possible) cause for the problem was found and will be fixed in the next version. Unfortunately, I can't say for sure if the found problem was the cause for your particular failure or not. It certainly looks like it was.
esseff

Post by esseff »

Thanks for looking into this and identifying and fixing a possible cause. Even if the underlying cause of my particular problem was not fixed, my report led you to find and fix a bug and improve MakeMKV, to the benefit of all. When the next version is released, I'll re-test in my environment and reply back on this conversation.
esseff

Post by esseff »

I have verified that this problem has been solved in release 1.7.8. With version 1.7.8. I can now transcode the TrueHD disk which caused this problem reproducibly in version 1.7.7.

Thanks!