makemkvcon - maximum length?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
craigdabbs

makemkvcon - maximum length?

Post by craigdabbs »

Hi,

Im currently running linux with makemkv and it works great. I have created a simple bash script to convert my movies from disc to hard drive.

The issue come to ripping TV boxsets, i realise its a best guess operation but in general most dvds have the episodes in order. The problem is some discs have a "play all" function and has a title length of around 2+ hours. Im using the --minlength option and works well, is there a way of limiting the maximum length using the title length or number of bookmarks?

Or is it a case of parsing the information out of this which could get tricky.

MSG:3028,0,3,"Title #0 was added (51 cell(s), 2:46:33)","Title #%1 was added (%2 cell(s), %3)","0","51","2:46:33"
MSG:3028,0,3,"Title #1 was added (13 cell(s), 0:41:44)","Title #%1 was added (%2 cell(s), %3)","1","13","0:41:44"
MSG:3028,0,3,"Title #2 was added (13 cell(s), 0:42:13)","Title #%1 was added (%2 cell(s), %3)","2","13","0:42:13"
MSG:3028,0,3,"Title #3 was added (12 cell(s), 0:41:15)","Title #%1 was added (%2 cell(s), %3)","3","12","0:41:15"
MSG:3028,0,3,"Title #4 was added (13 cell(s), 0:41:21)","Title #%1 was added (%2 cell(s), %3)","4","13","0:41:21"

If anyone has overcome this with the command line interface i would appreciate how you done this.

Thanks

Craig
lightsabersetc

Re: makemkvcon - maximum length?

Post by lightsabersetc »

I've been trying to do something similar but ended up having to go with a less automated approach. I had auto track selection working by parsing the track data and whatnot, the problem is determining whether you are looking at a Series disc or a Movie (which can look identical with all the special features and whatnot)..Another issue was determining the difference between series such as Robot Chicken (10 min episodes), Simpsons (22 min episodes), and Game of Thrones (47 min episodes).

One theory I was pondering was some math on the amount of available tracks (use only tracks with similar subtitle cnts, chapter counts, and track lengths), add the chapter cnts/title lengths together, then deselect tracks that match this math (+ a bit of length and possibly one chapter for the menu). At the same time, I would eliminate tracks that do not have subtitles/chapters to get rid of possible dups. All in all, this is very risky and you will most likely end up with missing tracks.

Another theory was cross-referencing with Freebase/TheMovieDB, but that was finnicky at best. I would be interested in hearing if anybody else has a better idea...