Foreign DVDs

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
PickleBranston

Foreign DVDs

Post by PickleBranston »

I had a look and couldnt find any threads with my query already,

Basically I have a few foreign language DVDs (House of Flying Daggers etc), I cannot seem to find a way to get the file with the audio track as Chinese with English subtitles. I cannot stand audio dubbing so the English voices on top is no good for me, I tried changing the preferred language and it seemed to either produce English or silence.

Thanks for any suggestions
Woodstock

Re: Foreign DVDs

Post by Woodstock »

You should not need to do anything advanced to get ALL the audio tracks to display and be selectable. Most of what I've been ripping since I first found MakeMKV is Japanese with subtitles, and all the audio tracks are available on both BD and DVD.

Now, the player you use will usually pick the first available track for video, audio, and subtitles. Most times that's English, sometimes it isn't. You can use other tools to change that order; I do it by running everything through Handbrake, but you can also use the MKVToolnix and similar programs to reassign which channels are "primary".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ipaulr

Re: Foreign DVDs - no subtitles

Post by ipaulr »

I hate the english dubbing and am trying to get subtitles on "Warriors of Heaven and Earth" blu-ray. I get the Chinese language audio ok, but the subtitles are just not showing.

I run the MakeMKV file through HandBrake to get a smaller file size, and then play that back on my Samsung Note 2 with the Dice Player app. I try to turn on subtitles in that app, but they are just not there.

I have english subtitles checked for the main track in two places, as English Subtitles shows up twice in MakeMKV. Both have a forced choice underneath, and I'm checking them as well.

I noticed there's a setting for the minimum title length, which defaults to 120sec. I assume this is not for subtitles, but I've now set that to 1 sec and am trying again. My 5th try!

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
Smithcraft

Re: Foreign DVDs

Post by Smithcraft »

Please don't cross post the same problem to multiple threads.

SC