TV Shows Converting Into 1 File

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Howdy_McGee

TV Shows Converting Into 1 File

Post by Howdy_McGee »

I have this TV Show but instead of Converting into Episodes it's converting one disc into 1 7Gig file. Is there anything I can do to combat that or do I just need a different disc?
Smithcraft

Re: TV Shows Converting Into 1 File

Post by Smithcraft »

When you play it in a DVD player, does it offer to play episodes, or just play all?

If it only offers play all, and if the episodes in the big file have openings and credits, then you could use mkvtoolnix to split it at the chapter markers or do you best to determine where to split it by looking at the playback time while watching it.

SC
Woodstock

Re: TV Shows Converting Into 1 File

Post by Woodstock »

This is actually quite common - the DVD or BD has one file with everything, and the menu indexes into it when you select a particular episode to watch. And it can vary from one disk in a set to another, as well as between the DVD and BD versions of a title.

When you open the disk in MakeMKV, click on the title that has all the episodes in it. Usually, Info section will look at lot like:

Code: Select all

Title information
Source title ID: 11
Duration: 2:27:57
Chapters count: 32
Size: 7.2 GB
Segment count: 7
Segment map: 1-6,7-11,12-16,17-21,22-26,27-31,32
File name: title01.mkv
There are 6 episodes on this disk; the numbers indicate which chapters make up an episode. This list is handy when you use one of the OTHER tools out there (like Handbrake, from handrake.fr) to work with the file. Personally, I use HB to generate MP4 files from the MKV files, so I can tell HB to put chapters 1-6 into one file, 7-11 into a second, etc.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging